Surface mounted cap on gfx card....

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

SavageLych
Surface mounted cap on gfx card....

Post by SavageLych » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:28 am

Well my dad broke a cap off a nice new 256 a while back, and it just sat there and never got fixed. I decided to try and fix it, but I didn't want to solder the same cap on there. The cap is about 3/16", and i can't identify it... The numbers on it read: 55
6A
Is it going to affect the proformance if I use a bigger cap?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:10 pm

well there are hundreds of sm components on a newer gfx card, even if i knew the schematic off by heart i wouldnt be able to tell you which one it is or whether it is important

or if it is even a cap. i mean it could be a cap (47uf?) or a fuse (6a?) or any other weird thing you could think of. diode. resistor.

furthermore, you dont know if its ceramic or electrolytic or tantalum, or polyester film (if it is a cap), which affects the way that it preforms.

why dont you want to put the same part back on? it seems like the most logical thing to do...

now, if it is a small cap, there is a chance that its just there for decoupling purposes, in which case the card will probably work without it, or with any similar value capacitor in there. is one end conected to ground?

if you use a "bigger" cap as in a non-sm one with a much larger value, you may end up either messing up the pcb when you try to solder it, or frying your card due to a much larger than expected inrush of current into the capacitor

also, keep in mind that if it was an electrolytic or tant cap that it can only go back in in one direction.

so if i had to guess right now, id say that you are probably right in guessing that its a cap, its value is 47, but i couldnt tell you if thats pF, nF or uF. (nothing higer than that fore sure)

if its 47uF, its size and shape would lead me to believe that its tantalum, a 47uf electrolytic cap would probably be a lot bigger (but who knows with technology these days). however, it is a high-end gfx card, and tants are high-end parts. so it kinda makes sense. ceramic caps dont usually have values written on them so its probably either electrolytic or tant...

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

SavageLych

Post by SavageLych » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:56 pm

It's tant, well if I replaced it with a biger one, I wouldn't have to buy a new soldering iron tip, the one I got now only gets up to 314 f at the tip, yet 2 mm away from the tip, it melts solder really good... I'll take my chances and just solder it on there...