Problems with keys....

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Problems with keys....

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:56 pm

Hey guys. My cousin and sister ripped off my backspace and right shift keys of my laptop, breaking the elastamor pads and the plastic bits to re-secure the keys. Seeing as I don't have the money to buy an external keyboard right now and the repair center is a while away, is there any way to re-map the keys to something in the same area for a temporary fix? Thanks!

CTFan

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:00 pm

Well, you could try to cut out that area of the keyboard, and mount a little tact switch in there and stick a piece of plastic on top at a temporary fix.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:52 pm

maybe get new rubbery button pad things from another keyboard, and attach the keys loosely with a piece of tape... maybe

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:34 pm

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On-Screen Keyboard

There should be some website out there where you could buy a replacement keyboard...

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:30 am

I know if it was me, I wouldn't pay a cent to fix it. Make your sister and cousin pay to fix it, unless it was an accident (thats a weird accident). If you can solder a tact to the rubbery stuff, I'd do that as a temporary fix.

Retromaster
Portablizer

Idea

Post by Retromaster » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:26 pm

if you want to save money and be creative, you can find a trophy shop or use a case of something to get engraving plastic. Use an X-acto knife to measure and cut out squares of material. you can use the rubber of the key mechanism to superglue to the rear of each square to simulate the original key. Or you can glue a tact switch to the rear of each square and rewire the key mechanism for a precise click after pressing.
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!