how efficient would this be?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

daguuy
Portablizer
how efficient would this be?

Post by daguuy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:58 pm

i was fiddling around the other day with a potentiometer/big transistor to act as a volume adjust thing for an amp i'm trying to make and thought it might be useful in portablizing stuff too. here's what it is:
it works great with getting whatever voltage i want but how efficient is it? would it's efficiency be more like a linear regulator or dc-dc convertor?
ImageImage

codeman

Post by codeman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:58 pm

If you look inside a linear regulator you'll baically see an op-amp controlling the current in a BJT to keep the output voltage constant, sort of similar to that you have there.

The efficiency of the DC-DC converter comes from the fact that it switches. It's not on 100% of the time like a linear regulator is. It changes dynamically with the load to improve its efficiency.
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:14 pm

A lot of devices (including many NOACs) use transistor/resistor/diode combos for making the 5V needed.