More Gameboy Advanced Repairs

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...
More Gameboy Advanced Repairs

Post by Darth Fett » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:10 pm

Greetings earthen video game portablizers!I am still on my quest to repair my GBA games dead battery problems.But I have run into a little problem.My two favorite games do not appear to have batterys!*Gasp!* :shock: Needless to say this is a problem.Does anyone know how to fix a seemingly batteryless GBA game?And if they do have batterys then when the ding dong are they?!The specific games are Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and Megaman Battle Network 5 Team Protoman(one doozy of a name).Please help me fix them before I wither away into nothingness
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:30 pm

Wow, how in the hades did they go dead so fast? My original Zelda game for the NES still has a good battery. So does Adventure of Link.

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:56 pm

I got them used, so the person before me proboly played a lot.Also, these are two of my favorite games in the universe so I played the heck out of them.Aria had like 150+ hours on it(Mostly mine, my brother put a few in.).
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

grahf

Post by grahf » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Darth Fett, those games do not use batteries. They use flashram. I just looked at my own Aria of Sorrow cart, and it turns out it uses a common part: an MB85R256 chip made by fujitsu. Info here at top of page: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/ ... dex_3.html
Its a standard 28pin tsop type I package, so pretty much any other 256k flashram with the same specs should work. The problem is these little surface mount flashchips are hard to find, and you usually have to buy a large quantity. Also, they arent easy to change unless you have the right equipment.

Your best bet is to find another gba cart with a working flashram, and steal the chips. I check a bunch of my carts out of curiosity, and they all had varying sizes and packages, but no matches unfortunatly. Im sure there is some dirt cheap game out there with the right chip you need.