Is there an actual Slim Line CD-ROM IDE cable available?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Nucklez
Is there an actual Slim Line CD-ROM IDE cable available?

Post by Nucklez » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:50 am

I need an extension cable, maybe 6" or so, that can extend the IDE connector on a slim line CD-ROM. It is the type of CD-ROM that goes in laptops, and in some rack mount servers. I've got a cable that connects one of these slim line CD-ROMs to a normal IDE port on a PC, but I need an extension that has the Slim Line male plug on one end, and the Slim Line female plug on the other end. I'm not sure what to search for, and so far I havn't been able to come up with anything. Thanks for your help!

*Edit*
I just counted the pins on this thing, and it appears to be considered a 50 pin IDE cable for Slim Line CD-ROMs. I have yet been able to find what I'm looking for. I really don't want to have to soilder this many pins. :(

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:18 am

why dont you extend the IDE cable to the slimline adapter instead of extending the slimline to the ide cable

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:27 pm

I need slim line to slim line. No full size IDE cable is involved anywhere. It's for a laptop motherboard actually, so there is no 40 pin IDE connector on it.