windows XP

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

daguuy
Portablizer
windows XP

Post by daguuy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 pm

so my windows is getting crumby and my hard drive is getting bloated so i decided it's time to upgrade to XP (not linux, i prefer to use my computer than try to find out how to use it). i found an XP CD laying around somewhere and it has a CD key so i'm probably going to instal it. my dad said that microsoft hunts down people using the same CD key as somebody else and does bad stuff to them but he's really biased against anything microsoft so how true is that? do any of you share CD keys without a problem or is it really something to watch out for?
EDIT: ok i installed it but now i have a new problem
Last edited by daguuy on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:57 pm

They don't hunt you down and break your knees; they just don't let you get non-critical updates. (Including libraries, DirectX, Media Player...)

Is buying a copy of XP really that big a deal?

You know you can probably fix the current install (I'm assuming it's 98 or 2000. If it's 2000, don't bother. There isn't much difference besides bloated junk)

1. Install and use CCleaner. Best. System. Cleaner. Ever.
2. Uninstall programs you don't use anymore
3. If you use PC-Cillin, trash that piece of excrement and install Norton or AVG.

doctorjames

Post by doctorjames » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:59 pm

An XP CD key can only be registered 5 times. After the 5th time the key will stop working, and you will be left with a 30-day "trial" like bic said.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:00 pm

doctorjames wrote:An XP CD key can only be registered 5 times. After the 5th time the key will stop working, and you will be left with a 30-day "trial."
No, I thought it could be transferred an infinite amount of times. Now Vista will only be transferable once.

doctorjames

Post by doctorjames » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:08 pm

If you don't transfer it, it can only be used 5 times. I learned this when I did an install for the 6th time, for a friend, and it wouldn't go, so we had to activate by phone.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:32 pm

There's programs out there that will get around the "Genuine Advantage" stuff.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:50 pm

doctorjames wrote:An XP CD key can only be registered 5 times. After the 5th time the key will stop working, and you will be left with a 30-day "trial" like bic said.
Are you sure? My XP Pro CD-Key can't be put on more than one pc at one time... :(

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:18 am

Skyone wrote:
doctorjames wrote:An XP CD key can only be registered 5 times. After the 5th time the key will stop working, and you will be left with a 30-day "trial" like bic said.
Are you sure? My XP Pro CD-Key can't be put on more than one pc at one time... :(
Is yours a store-bought copy of XP Pro or some OEM copy that came with your computer? If it's the latter, then there's your problem. I've had experience with copies from Dell/Emachines/etc. where it can only be registered once. Whereas the store-bought, "real" copy can be registered a few times (probably 5 like mentioned).

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:40 am

I'm sure I've used the same key more than 5 times on the same machine before MicroSoft's servers stopped accepting it.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:21 am

atari2600a wrote:I'm sure I've used the same key more than 5 times on the same machine before MicroSoft's servers stopped accepting it.
Yeah you can put it on more then one machine, then Microsoft added the update called Genuine Authenitication (or whatever). Once a copy of XP/2000/Media Editon is updated with that you can't install it on another computer without arising attention of Microsoft.

Best thing to do is either buy a copy, as XP is finally down below $150 for Professional. Or you can talk to a college student, those like me in CIS/CS/ect get access to Microsoft products for free or a low cost. I've been told that whom ever dowloads or obtains it under the account the copy is registered to them, I don't know if this is true, but it's worth trying and seeing if you can get away with it.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Sparkfist wrote:
atari2600a wrote:I'm sure I've used the same key more than 5 times on the same machine before MicroSoft's servers stopped accepting it.
Yeah you can put it on more then one machine, then Microsoft added the update called Genuine Authenitication (or whatever). Once a copy of XP/2000/Media Editon is updated with that you can't install it on another computer without arising attention of Microsoft.

Best thing to do is either buy a copy, as XP is finally down below $150 for Professional. Or you can talk to a college student, those like me in CIS/CS/ect get access to Microsoft products for free or a low cost. I've been told that whom ever dowloads or obtains it under the account the copy is registered to them, I don't know if this is true, but it's worth trying and seeing if you can get away with it.
I'm going to get a copy of Professional so I don't have to use Vista.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:31 pm

bicostp wrote:Is buying a copy of XP really that big a deal?
Unless you plan on giving me $100 for it, it is a big deal. Why don't they sell it for less, people might hate micro$oft less.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:33 pm

alright i installed it and that worked and was spiffy etc... but now i have a new problem: the internet is borked! my old OS (win2k) used wireless because my ethernet port isn't compatible with it. when i installed XP, it seems that it doesn't know it has a wireless card but it did successfully instal the ethernet drivers and i hooked it up to my ethernet cable but it still won't connect to the internet. in win2k, i used the commands "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" but those don't work in XP. what should i use instead of those? (BTW, if you're wondering how i'm posting, i'm using linux)
ImageImage

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:42 pm

It's ipconfig in XP.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:44 pm

I've been running XP for a while with no problems but i don't have a service pack or whatever it's called. How do I get it, is it in windows update? If I'm using the same CD key as somebody else, will it just not update or will windows not work anymore?
ImageImage