AST Computers are very problematic

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj
AST Computers are very problematic

Post by demonofaj » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:04 pm

Well, I have possibly five computers made by the company, AST, all of which have exactly the same errors. They all have Pentium 1/2's, however the predominant error is that during boot up, it displays the error message: Invalid Disk, Please insert correct and press any key. Besides the fact that I couldn't find the 'any' key, there were no Floppy Disks in the drive, even if that was the drive it was talking about. the HDD it detects as seen in the BIOS. Also, it ONLY has a floppy drive; when I tried to install a CD drive, the drive works, but just wasn't detected in the BIOS, furthermore, I couldn't even access it. FURTHERMORE, I think it lacks an OS, but all my OS's are on CD's (WINDOWS only (Sorry bic :P )) and if I can't install a CD rom Drive :-|. I'm stumped, please help!
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm

It's saying "Invalid Disk" because it can't find the MBR or the MBR on the hard drive doesn't exist. You need to install an OS.

You need to make a floppy boot disk with CD drivers. Windows 98 has an option for that, go to Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:13 pm

Where can I acquire a Floppy Boot Disk, I have some for Windows NT, but will that work?

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:20 pm

Some boot discs here.

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Odd, that I just finished storing the files on my Floppy as you posted that site (which is where I went) :P . Now my only problem seems to be that I can't find any proper CD-Rom Drivers. I think the Manufacture of the Drive was Tealco, or something along those lines.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:37 pm

demonofaj wrote:Odd, that I just finished storing the files on my Floppy as you posted that site (which is where I went) :P . Now my only problem seems to be that I can't find any proper CD-Rom Drivers. I think the Manufacture of the Drive was Tealco, or something along those lines.
You can use the generic drivers with the boot disc.

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:02 pm

:evil: Damnit, it's like these computers hate me, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I loaded up a boot disk as soon as it said: Invalid Boot Disk, Please replace. So I insert the floppy. Then it pauses, displays the message, talk out disk media to restart the comp. I take it out and press a button, it locks...please help :(