My computer overheating.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
My computer overheating.

Post by ganonbanned » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah I know I make a new topic on this forum like every 2 days, but just pretend its some one else :) . I got home from school today, about 2 minutes later my mom told me to check webgrader (online program that lets you see grades online) and that she left the PC on this morning before she left for work. she than left to go pick up my younger siblings from school, and I went and turned on the computer. this Is a windows XP, it runs fast but last week internet stopped working, and the cable guy that came and fixed our internet said get our PC checked. So I turn it on, I get some message "ATTENTION! PC SHUTDOWN DUE TO EXETREME OVERHEATING. PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE" I pressed f1, the computer ran fine. I have no idea. a few months ago, it started making a really loud sound coming from the fan, it started up about 3 weeks ago and ended about 3 days before the internet stopped working. help? (as in other words what to do to stop this from happening, prevent happening again)

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:04 pm

well the most obvious thing to check is if the fan is still working.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 pm

Remove dust and besure that other things are not blocking the air vents.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Sounds like the fan died. You need to replace it. No you can't make one out of Play Doh and glitter. Don't ask.

Also take the PC outside, open the case and blow it out using compressed air. A real air compressor is best, but if you don't have one handy you can use cans from the store.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:33 pm

Real air compressor, you say? One of my neighbors has it, it's really better? 'Cause I'll just take it there and blast air through it ^.^
EDIT: 1337 post! Me=1337! yay!
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.