something possibly wrong with my internet

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
something possibly wrong with my internet

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:33 am

all day, when I log on (im using IE) it says for my home page "server is to busy" or that page cannot be displayed message. is my Internet whacked, or is it with the site (MSN.com)?

PS i dont want to hear get firefox or the problem is you dont have firfox or anything like that.

HomicidalBarber

Post by HomicidalBarber » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:37 am

what is your home page...?

Oops never mind sorry, msn works fine for me so its not the site. You could always try reinstalling IE for a quick fix.
Last edited by HomicidalBarber on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:38 am

HomicidalBarber wrote:what is your home page...?
msn

I edited it when you were posting

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:38 am

You're here right now, right?

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:39 am

atari2600a wrote:You're here right now, right?
yes. every site but msn works.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:41 am

Hm, well there is the possibility that your software is out of date & Microsoft has cut support for it. (I believe the default page on WMP9 doesn't load)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:28 am

Loads fine for me.

What version of IE/Windows are you running? It is possible they stopped supporting it. (I know they stopped supporting 98, so it's not getting updated...)

You should be running Firefox, at least for the better security. (I know you said "don't say it", but it's true.) If you just want to try it, go to portableapps.com and get the portable version, which doesn't need to be installed and it leaves your system unchanged.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:30 am

Let's magnify this part a bit so we make sure he reads it.
bicostp wrote:You should be running Firefox, at least for the better security. (I know you said "don't say it", but it's true.) If you just want to try it, go to portableapps.com and get the portable version, which doesn't need to be installed and it leaves your system unchanged

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: something possibly wrong with my internet

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:33 am

ganonbanned wrote:PS i dont want to hear get firefox or the problem is you dont have firfox or anything like that.
It's all in the wording... :P

;)

I mean, as long as you keep up on updates and take some extra security precautions you won't have a problem with IE. My dad is insistent on using IE for everything, but he goes through all the "security zone" BS, turns off everything, so websites that aren't on the whitelist don't display properly (or at all).

Of course, no matter what you're using, regular PC checkups (scandisk, Ad-aware, antivirus scan) should be performed.

Sorry if you didn't want to hear it, but tests show there's a lot less high-risk security problems than with BillyBrowser.

<a href="http://secunia.com/product/4227/?task=s ... >Securina- FF</a>
<a href="http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=sta ... >Securina- IE</a>
Now, just to make sure it's your internet connection. Try using Portable FF to access msn.com, maybe there's something screwing IE up on you.
Last edited by bicostp on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:35 am

Back when I had MSN, this is what I did to free up some memory & processing power, but can also be used to use a not-that-crappy-MSN-priority-browser. (No offense Bill Gates :P)

Log on as your user, then go to Switch User (I think it's in the "Log Off" menu, I think) You will stay connected to the internet, & you won't have to have that crappy browser running.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 am

alright now this is getting weird, I had to refresh 3 times before I could get to benheck today. this is windows XP!! and some of the smileys arent appearing for me.