fixin' ethernet cables.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

totokan
fixin' ethernet cables.

Post by totokan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:01 pm

Ok, all this rain has put me in a state of anti-procrastination. I've got a broken ethernet cable, the plastic thing that locks it in place broke. It's wired up and around throughout my house, so I can't replace it quick-like. No sacrifice cables to be found, so replacing the plastic is a no-go. I wish to find a quick way to keep it in, as the gamecubes BroadBandAdaptor is too springy to let it sit in there.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: fixin' ethernet cables.

Post by vskid » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:07 pm

totokan wrote:Ok, all this rain has put me in a state of anti-procrastination. I've got a broken ethernet cable, the plastic thing that locks it in place broke. It's wired up and around throughout my house, so I can't replace it quick-like. No sacrifice cables to be found, so replacing the plastic is a no-go. I wish to find a quick way to keep it in, as the gamecubes BroadBandAdaptor is too springy to let it sit in there.
Could you use tape or something like play-dough?

totokan

Post by totokan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:14 pm

I'll try tape, but play-dough? that would ruin my BBA.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:19 pm

If you can sacrifice an inch or so of cable, you could put a new RJ-45 conector on it. Just cut the wires, peel back the outer casing, and slip the 8 wires into the new jack in the same order as they appear in the old connector. You will need a crimping tool for this, but a good local PC repair center might let you borrow or rent one.

Or, if you can't replace the connector, you could buy a new ethernet cable and a female-female adapter. (A small block you can plug 2 ethernet cables into.) Just put the broken cable into one end and tape it in place with electrical tape. Then use the new patch cable to connect the other side of the adapter to whatever it is you need on the network.