Splitting a controller board

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator: Moderators

CronoTriggerfan

Splitting a controller board

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:05 pm

Up to this point, I've never had to split a controller board, because all my portables have been portrait. Now, though, I need to split one. (PSOne namely, but info on splitting controller boards in general would be good) So how, may I ask, would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks,
CTFan

SpearMan74

Post by SpearMan74 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:38 pm

From what i've read on this site you just score it really deep in as straight as a line possible with an x-acto knife. Score it on both sides too probably.
"Woops wrong button."
AIM=FrankaSch74

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID: kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:45 am

First, you cut it where you want it to be cut. You can do this with an exacto knife (although when I did that with a SNES board, it shattered whenI tried to break it, and I scored it VERY deep.), or you can try it with a dremel tool. Or even a hacksaw. Just try not to ruin the traces.

Second, you go about rewiring it. You must first scratch some trace into the open with something sharp. Just make sure you're not going to short anything. Pick your locations strategically.

Third, rewiring time. Please note that you do NOT need to wire all of the connections. About half of them are probably ground. Connect ONE ground trace to another one on the other piece, then connect the other connections and such.

Voila, you are done.
Hey, sup?

sammy

Post by sammy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:22 pm

I use a figure saw to cut pcb's. If your going for a PS1 controller I'd only keep 1 of the analog sticks, since the other one is hardly ever used. You could also just replace the directional pad with 1 analog stick.
But whatever you do, just keep the analog stick as intact as possible.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:33 pm

pull a Ben and use tact switches
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the advice, guys. It's been a great help! :D
Krepticor wrote:pull a Ben and use tact switches
Hey, I never thought of that! Plus, I have about 7 or 8 tact switches lying around! Okay, I'm gonna try tact switches. Now for a new question: How do you wire a tact switch to a game pad? I know the four leads on the tact switch connect to the metal pads on the controller, but where and how? :?

CTFan

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:07 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Plus, I have about 7 or 8 tact switches lying around! Okay, I'm gonna try tact switches. Now for a new question: How do you wire a tact switch to a game pad? I know the four leads on the tact switch connect to the metal pads on the controller, but where and how? :?

CTFan
By soldering. :shock: Use a multimeter and play with the tact switches. Follow the traces.

And I have 50,60 laying around.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;