Oh shi*!

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Sword_Gun
Oh shi*!

Post by Sword_Gun » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:00 pm

I have a problem, my freind as CastleVania for N64, and he ran out of rubbing alchohol, so his sister grabbed the cartridge and started furiously rubbing the contacts with a q-tip and NAILPOLISH REMOVER!

Now everytime we put the cart in the n64, nothing happens.

Anyway to fix this?

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:27 am

Nail polish remover is alcohol, not sure if its the same as rubbing alcohol or not. Did you dry off the contacts?

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:36 am

Umm... if it doesn't work, is there a way of taking a crappy game like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (just kidding Shock Slayer) and switching out the contacts?
I'm totally the 2008th member.

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:53 am

Nail Polish Remove is not alcohol, it's either acetone, or the non-acetone varient (which i don't know the active ingredient of). Acetone and likely non-acetone polish removers, are corrosive. Odds are there is a thin film of corrosion on the contacts.

Use a very fine grain sand paper 240 grit or higher, and lightly sand the contacts to polish off the corrosion. Do not sand too hard, or too long, your only trying to clean the top surface, not resurface it.

Contact cleaner should work aswell, and is usually availible from radioshack.

The only way the nail polish remover could cause worse damage is if you shoved the cart in while it was still wet, as acetone can melt plastic. But odds are that all games would no longer work if that wore the problem.

BTW Jimmy, Zelda:OOT is one of the best games of all time. You should see it on an emulator with hires replacement textures. Simply Beautiful.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:12 am

Corscaria wrote:BTW Jimmy, Zelda:OOT is one of the best games of all time. You should see it on an emulator with hires replacement textures. Simply Beautiful.
I know it's a great game. I was kidding.
I'm totally the 2008th member.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:29 am

I can personally say sandpaper works better than anything for cleaning really dirty cartridges. Everything sounds to still be ok, I don't see how acetone could wreck anything non-plastic.
Hey, sup?

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:38 am

I'll try taht next time I come over.

Just 1 thing, when you look at the bottom of the cart, theres the black stuff beside the data board. (Its hooked on the plastic, every single cart has it, its like this cart = ||1||, The "||" are the plastic/black plastic and the 1 is the databoard), well that black plastic has like marks from the movement of the q-tip, meaning like the Nail polish remover like ate the plastic somewhat.

Is the cart toast? Or should I try sandpaper?

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:49 am

Corscaria wrote:BTW Jimmy, Zelda:OOT is one of the best games of all time. You should see it on an emulator with hires replacement textures. Simply Beautiful.
Do those texture things work in Daedalus for Xbox?