Molex Nub Thing

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Big-O
Molex Nub Thing

Post by Big-O » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:00 pm

Does anyone know what the plastic nub on top of a molex connector is for? Because I just went to the rip-off central (Fry's) and get a dvd writer. In the installation instructions, it says not to use the molex connector with the nub, I'm wondering if that's there to check the polarity, or it's a different connector. What I'm asking is do I have it upside down, or do I need some special kind.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:24 am

Eh? Define "nub." The only nub I know of on a molex connector (in a computer) is the one on the mobo connector, and I think that's just a clip.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:29 am

Molex is the large four-pin power connector for 5.25" drives, whereas Benz is the smaller 3.5" floppy power connector. The "nub" is likely a thin line of plastic that further aids in polarity. If I remember correctly, it is sometimes over the ground next to the yellow line, making it the -12V line.

Most of the time the plug isn't pushed in ar enough for this "nub" to cause problems, but sometimes it might.

It might be a different "nub" type than on my PSU though.
Warranty-Voiding fun!