ps1 and DC power supply question

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
ps1 and DC power supply question

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:42 pm

today i was cleaning out my closet and i had cords all over the place. after i got it all cleaned out, i noticed the PS1 power cord wasnt there. i looked around and couldnt find it. i then realized the back was the exact same shape as the DC one, and i put the end on and it fit. could i play like this?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: ps1 and DC power supply question

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:40 pm

ganonbanned wrote:today i was cleaning out my closet and i had cords all over the place. after i got it all cleaned out, i noticed the PS1 power cord wasnt there. i looked around and couldnt find it. i then realized the back was the exact same shape as the DC one, and i put the end on and it fit. could i play like this?
Yes. The PS2 (slim), XBOX, Dreamcast and PlayStation can all use the same power cable. The only thing is it has to be round on both ends, I'm not sure if it was the PS2 (fat) that was that way or the PlayStation as well that had a square end.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:31 pm

both ps1 and ps2 had the same power cord and both had to have one side rounded on them

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:17 pm

These are common power cables that you can find at any decent electronic store. They are sometimes called "Panasonic-type" cords, and come in two types; polarized, where one end is square and the other is round, and non-polarized, where both ends are round.

I have a VCR and a two CD players that use same type of cord. I recently got a new VCR, because the old one, while still very nice, started making LOTS of noise. So, back when we used that VCR, we used to have to bring it out of my parents bedroom whenever we wanted to watch a VHS in the livingroom because we only had that one... so I always just detached my PS2 power cable and plugged it into the VCR so I didn't have to bring the cord out too. :P