Eagle Schematic to PCB?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:33 pm

Just caught another mistake. I fixed that. I am swapping between top and bottom layers, everything looks good.

I figured out how to print it, so yeah.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:40 pm

well when i say "close together" im speaking from my own expeience which involves either etching the boards myself with a laser printer or getting them CNCed at school (minimum distance = 12mil)... and in general the closer the traces are, the smaller the particle size it takes to short something. :P

its a fine board though, congradulations (sp?).

(oh also, if you are getting it made profesionally then ignore what i said about top traces to a socket. because they put vias in there for you.)

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:26 pm

I noticed I made a HORRIBLE error with the female DB9, I switched the pins up! I did the mirrored to what they were supposed to be!

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:37 pm

I etched the board today, but I noticed that the pads are really small. Is there a way to change the size of the pads and routes?

codeman

Post by codeman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:29 pm

i'm not sure what pads you want to change the size of, but i do know that it's easy to change the size of a wire. On the tool bar on the left is a little wrench looking thing. Click on that and choose to change the width, and you can select what you want the new width of the trace to be. Then, just click on whatever trace you want to change and it'll make it bigger, or smaller i guess if that's what you wanted
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:55 pm

How would I make the pads for the header and stuff bigger? The smallest drill bit I have ruins them.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 pm

well if you are using the laser printer method or something similar, then just open it in paint and custom hack it to your hearts content.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:09 am

timmeh87 wrote:well if you are using the laser printer method or something similar, then just open it in paint and custom hack it to your hearts content.
Yeah, I'm using a laser printer. How would I get the right scale though?

superdeformed
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by superdeformed » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:11 pm

You can change the pad size through the library that the part is in. Just open up the package in the right library (you can find it all by using the info command on the part) and increase the diameter to change the overall pad size, or the drill to just change the hole size. You'll probably have to update the library after you've made changes. The diameter and drill options (as well as shape) are available for vias while looking at the board.

Just remember to leave adequate distance between the pads (usually atleast 10mils/.01 inches, but you'll probably want more since it won't have a soldermask). You can set up the DRC to check things like that for you, and it's especially useful when you have a lot of components/signals on the board.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:50 pm

when you export the board to a BMP file (file>export iirc) it is scaled properly. even though it may will appear huge in paint, the dots-per-inch is also huge.

i usually embed the image in a word file to print it anyways, so i can make sure its the right size.