wireless controllers

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Krepticor
wireless controllers

Post by Krepticor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:49 pm

How could I setup a wireless controller for any system?

By this I want a schematic that sends a signal that is completed...

I read throught wasted druid's post and it seemed to actually run the signal of the NES controller (up and down philosophy)

Anyway, I want to be able to have a very lite controller with mainly tactswitches/rocker panels, rumble and batteries

Where Can I find a decent project for this (Yes I googled it and well all I found was a wireless project that I really couldn't understand)

I know that wireless is a signal transmitted by light, just please a little more detail...
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:20 pm

*bump*

ok well I understand this may seem hard, but no one!

ok I have thought it through and I want it to be as analog as possible

It may need like a zillion emitter LEDs but I want to be able to depress a tact switch and the emitter will transmit to a board I have placed in a console

Please I can't find a thing!

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Sorry, but I really don't know. I know what it's like for no one to post in a thread. It sucks. Sorry I can't help, but I think that would be really hard to do.

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

TitaniumHamster

Post by TitaniumHamster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:59 pm

uhhhh... Take a course in simple bluetooth commands & stuff? Maybe?
" ! "

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:11 pm

what sucks is that I know the elaborate physics behind it

I just don't know how to achieve it electronically

My overall plan is to create a really big box that has a bunch of older consoles in it and have a nice wireless control pad with tact switches in it and transfer which buttons are depressed (also the pot's x and y)

Anyway that would be transmitted by and emitter and recieved by the reciever at the console and then the switches would have completed the loop by going to the respected system's controller

I don't think this would be too hard...I have not really worked with anything wireless though

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:14 pm

Why not use RF instead of IR?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:59 am

I remember a thread that Wasted Druid made were he showed off a project he completed, it was wireless NES controller reciever. I'd say talk to him but it seems he's fallen of the face of the Earth as no one has seen him for over a year. Though I guess you could try emailing him.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:13 pm

most wireless systems are rf in nature, as for making one controller that controlled many systems it would be very hard, in example, you cant use a nes controller to control a sega because the two companies use a different signal scheme to transmit the same data (up, down, a, b, left, right,) now if you were making a controller to control two systems made by the same company that would be a lot easier

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Wasted druid just doesn't post frequently is all... But e-mail him and he might help you (if he didn't die)

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:43 pm

It might be easier to buy a readymade wireless controller for PS2 (or XBox or whatever) and then convert the PS2 output to whatever other console(s) you want to hook it up to.

There was a PIC-based PSX decoder posted on the net... if you can't find it I may be able to find it on my PC. It outputs discrete signals for each direction & some buttons (3 or 4 from memory)... was limited by the number of pins on the chip it was based on.
If you understand PIC assembler, or know someone who does, you may be able to convert it to run on a chip with more output lines, to get more buttons working.