reverse portablization ?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

project_failure
reverse portablization ?

Post by project_failure » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:34 pm

i was thinking about this for quite a few years now and felt this is the best site to bring this up on. Would it be possible to turn a gameboy (or other handheld) into a console. Of course without the help of another console (no super gameboys or gameboy players.) :?
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

dman762000

Post by dman762000 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:43 pm

hasn't this already been discussed several times before? try doing a search.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: reverse portablization ?

Post by vskid » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:45 pm

project_failure wrote:i was thinking about this for quite a few years now and felt this is the best site to bring this up on. Would it be possible to turn a gameboy (or other handheld) into a console. Of course without the help of another console (no super gameboys or gameboy players.) :?
It would likely be called Project Failure, because as far as I know it would be pretty hard.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:49 pm

Some guy did it, It was like "something somthing's Not so portable- Portable"

It was a GBA with with a ps1 screen, You can get a GBA A/V Adapter and plug that in, hook it to the Ps1 screen.. and CHA-Ching GBA on a big screen.

For controlls.. I do not Know.

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:12 pm

There is a GBA with a transverter and a PSone screen on PoD somewhere.

As for using something else, that's not feasable for the average member here, next to impossible for the rest. That would require engineering a board to convert the digital signal to an analog on ethe TV would understand.

It would be possible to rig up the gameboy in a dark box with a couple LEDs shining on it, and a composite-output capable video camera. (maybe something to put in front of a camcorder...) For the newer backlit GBA SP (I think it's basically a DS Hevy screen), you wouldn't need the light source. Either way you would have to make up an external controller.

For the majority of us, it is easiest to use a Super Gameboy, or a Wide Boy 64, or a Game Boy Player. :P

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:18 pm

The name project_failure is started out as a motivational thing. I was going to keep tha name until i completed my first project than change it. But I liked then name so i just decided to keep it.

The idea came up because a friend of mine has a broken game boy color (screen doesn't work) and wanted to do something cool with it. So I felt I would ask about it.

sorry, I should have done a search.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
-Project Failure

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:51 pm

There is a site that has a 3 foot Gameboy on it. I don't know how they managed to get the video signal out and have it work with an LCD, but they seemed to. Here's a link to a site talking about it. Beyond that I don't know much about that kind of idea.

The only other thing I could say you can do to play Gameboy games like a console, involve just that, a console. There is the Super Gameboy for the SNES, and some Gameboy player for the N64.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:23 pm

yeah, I saw a picture of it on funny junk.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures ... nt+Gameboy
-Project Failure

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:25 am

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:36 am

so it is possible and maybe require less work than i thought.

thank you.
-Project Failure