Battery

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Sword_Gun
Battery

Post by Sword_Gun » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:13 pm

Hey, I have a battery question, I have 2 adaptors for my Portable (One for screen, one for NOAC)

The screen uses: 12v 500ma
The NOAC uses: 9v 300ma

so thats 21v 900ma

How many AA Batteries would I have to use?

and Could I Reduce like the Screens and NOAC volts?

(I think a NOAC can run off like 7v cant it? and No I cannot do a LED mod.)

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:25 pm

Whates the current rating on your batteries?
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:27 pm

Sword_gun, go with 12v and just find a battery that has at least 2000mA. In this kind of application you add together the amps to find the battery you need and (if you can get away with it) use on voltage. In this situation, you can just put 12v into both and they'll run off the same battery.

If you want to use AA, get rechargable Ni-MH. Those are rated at 1.2v each, set in series you'll need 10 to make 12v. Also most Ni-MH batterys have a capasity of 2200mA or more so you should get a few hours out of them.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:21 pm

Are you sure 12volts being spread to a NOAC that needs 9v, and a Screen that needs 12v will work?

I'm not sure I follow you....

-Sword

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:46 pm

Check to see if there are voltage regulators in your screen. Could be that your screen needs precisely 9 volts, so has a 12v adaptor in order to feed the 9v with enough juice to regulate down.

I don't remember, but doesn't th enoac run like a NES< on 5v, even though the adaptor is 9?

Also, just because the adaptor says it provides a certain number of amps, doesn't mean thats how much the screen USES.

The PSone screen's wallwart makes 3000 mA (3 amps). But the screen uses about 600 mA (the rest of the amps are for the PSone itself, powered off of one unit.. and it doesn't use a full 2.4 amps.. it just has the ability to provide it if necessary.)

if the power is regulated, you will need a) enough power for the regulator to give off a signal (usually about 1.5 - 2v more, but you should check the specs for that regulator), and of course, b) not enough to burn out the regulator (the voltage drop is converted to heat.

If the noac has a 7805 regulator, and is being given 12v+ it will burn off 7v in HEAT! you'll need some fine heatsinking on that regulator in that ccase.

Why not do some simple tests with a multimeter (a cheap enough item to buy) to see what voltages are in the circuits, and if there are regulators, what their output is (if you don't know by the part number) and how many amps each item draws.

CAREFUL, to test the current, you MUST NOT short the power source. Your multimeter becomes a conduit for ONE POLE of the power. So you connect the grounds together of the PSU and the NOAC device, then use the miltimeter as a gobetween between the PSU's + and the NOAC's +

knowing the true current of the curcuit, and the true voltage, helps you select batteries.

what screen do you have, that uses 12v?

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:52 pm

Well mines not a Offical PS1 screen, It uses different adaptor to power the ps1.

Its called Inter-Act.

And Im not allowed to open the screen, dad says "NO" as he bought it for me. (and I tend to break things)

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:59 pm

hmm. how are you going to make a portable NES without opening the screen?

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:07 pm

Attach the screen on the way its.

And My dad saying the battery idea will NOT work.

As I need a total of 21 Volts to power both things,

and 12 1.5 v batts = 18v, He says I'll end up blowing something up, as Id be running both power sources as 1...

I need a clear explanation to tell him.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:18 pm

Oh my god.

8*1.5=12v. That's all you need. 12v, and a 9v regulator.

If your dad really thinks that you need 21 (or you do), then type into Google: "Voltage."

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:22 pm

so 12v with a 9v regulator will both? What if I do NOT use a regulator?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:34 pm

ok. dude. heres how it goes.

first lets go over some electricity basics. electricity is the movmemnt of electrons. (sorry if im going to basic. but i dont know exactly what knowledge you are starting with). these electrons are moving forward with a certain amount of energy, which they can use to do things. like make video games happen. the flowing electricity is much like water, and like water, there can be a small amount flowing (backyard creek) or a very large amount (niagara river). note that we are talking amount here, not speed. speed is irrelevant. anyways.

the energy that the electrons have is your voltage, and the amount of electrons flowing (measured by counting how many go by a fixed point in one second) is the current. the third important property is resistance. like a small piece of pipe after a larger section, a resistor will force the current of water/electrons to slow down.

so. your screen and NOAC can be simplified as being (roughly) like a resistor. if you connect it to a source of power, then the power will flow through it as fast as it can, but it can only flow so fast because there is a farily large resistace to its flow. certain components require electrons to have a certain voltage to be able to pass through them. this is why you need to give you components a certain voltage.

now. there are two ways to connect two things to one power source. you can connect them in series, like this, or parallel (this)

connecting them in series is like connecting a sink to the drain on another sink. gross :P (plus it adds up the voltage that one electron needs to get all the way though.)

if you connect them in parallel, then they both can take electrons from the power supply. thus, your power supply will need to be able to provide more electrons (more current, Amps), but it will only need to be 12v. (and probably less, since your screen might only need 9 volts)

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:42 pm

Also, it's important to know how much voltage the parts of the NOAC can tolerate. If you provide TOO MANY volts.. you will burn out parts of it. Like popping a 9v SID 8580 in a 12v SID 6581 socket.. zoooop, burnt.

Generally, these things are voltage regulated. Opening them is the only way to know for sure.

if you throw 12v at something with a PSU taking 9v (my noac, btw, takes 4 AA batteries, or 6v, MUCH less than 12v) you could severaly destroy your items.

There is always the option of 2 batteries. a fat Li Ion battery with like 7200 mAh for the screen, and a small nicad or lion battery for the much less current using NOAC (it uses less current, assuming your screen uses a non LED backlight).

Continuing the water analogy, if you have a huge turbine that needs so many litres per second to pass over it in order to operate it with so much kinetic energy (say, falling water of a waterfall) and then take that same water, at that same rate, with that same force, and try to use it to fill up a delicate glass cup, your glass cup will fly out of your hand and fall in the rocks at the bottom of the waterfall.

if you can't open things up to see what is what, 2 batteries is the safest bet.

a 12v, and a 9v. (but does your NOAC take aa batteries already? if so, how many? a AA battery is 1.5 volts when new, and if your noac is like mine, and it takes 4, then the 9v power supply is likely regulated down to 5)

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:33 am

My NOAC doesnt run off Batteries, it runs off a 9v 300Ma, Wall adaptor.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:23 am

Well, If you look at the inside of the NOAC, you will probably find an AC to DC converter of some sort, or on the plug that runs from the wall. So look for anything on the plug (Like any sort of boxy looking thing) or right where the NOAC and the AC plug connect for what the DC specs are. then you can just run dc power through that and it should regulate it to whatever you need it to be at.

Then just use those nifty little equations that I can't remember to figure how much you would need with the added power consumtion of the screen. And if it comes down to it, just take the screen apart when you're home alone (Do at your own risk, I'm not taking responsibility ;))

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:00 pm

Sword_Gun wrote:My NOAC doesnt run off Batteries, it runs off a 9v 300Ma, Wall adaptor.
Weird.. what NOAC did you get?

Regardless, open 'er up and see if there's any power regulation.