Home PC Web Server

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Harshboy
Portablizer
Home PC Web Server

Post by Harshboy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:18 pm

I am going to be making a personal Web server, but i want to know the best way to go about it. I read the Apache is good, should i use that? All it will be hosting is websites and also act as a server for a game i am making in RMXP. Now that Multi Netplay exists, we can all play the game! Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Also, i will also offer to host sites, files, etc for you guys. Just a little something i can do to payback for all the great help you guys have offered me here. Btw, its free :wink:

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Apache is good, but I'd go with http://www.lighttpd.net/
Also, unless you have good upstream doing this with a website could zap your downstream.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Ahh...dont worry about that, its good, and thanks for the tip :D

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:37 pm

Another good option is Abyss Web Server It's user friendly, feature rich,and has a small footprint.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:02 pm

You could also try Slax Server edition. ( http://www.slax.org/download.php ) It apparently comes with Apache, MySQL, and other web services built in. (You will need to add PHP and install the OS onto the PC yourself, but it's pretty easy to do with some shell commands.)

Make sure your ISP allows you to run your own server; apparently a lot of them block that because it puts an additional strain on their equipment or something. This website is full of information regarding running your own server:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:42 pm

I'm really pissed off now. I just asked my ISP if personal servers were alllowed and they said they arn't. If i do end up setting it up, would they even know i had it? And all it would be is a fricken website....how can that harm them?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:53 pm

Just run it on port 8080, instead of 80. Then, you can use dyndns.org to redirect to your ip.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:54 am

Umm...explain more about this dyndns thing and redirect my IP. If i still do this, will I still be able to make a website (most likely harshboy.com) for everybody to see (No passwords or anything)

EDIT: Which of the services should i use? I have Cable so my IP never changes. Being screwed up with Xbox talk, should i use Dynamic DNS or static DNS? Or neither and tell me what to do. Man...Apache was way easier :lol:

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:38 am

If that's the case, just get yourself a cheap server. I got some space at servage.net, and you can register a free domain name at the same time. This would be the best thing to do since you don't appear to know what you're talking about. (no offense intended)

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:45 am

Whenever you type a domain name into your browser, it is redirected to the site's IP Address. You can redirect people from you domain name to your IP Address by using DynDNS.org. It will tell you what to do once you get there.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works, it's been a while.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:50 pm

Oh wait, i think i got this now. Ok what i do is:

Set up apache. Set it up as normal, except use port 8080 instead of 80
Then goto dyndns.org and just redirect my domain name to my IP port 8080. Is that right?

And i dont wanna spend money, this is just for fun and i dont wanna take the fun away by just giving people my money for storage :wink:

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:34 pm

I'm trying to set something like this up on a spare machine at home. It won't be an internet server; it will just be used for testing scripts and things that need a database without gunking up my PoD subdomain any more than necessary. (I have some housekeeping to do in there anyways...)

Basically I want a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_%28so ... 9">LAMP</a> server with a GUI. I tried Ubuntu Server 6.06, but it has no desktop environment. Slackware's desktop system won't work on the computer's graphics chipset (it's a DeskPro, and some distros don't like it), and I'm not sure of any other distro to use. (yes I've been looking around :P)I'm downloading Fedora Core 5 right now (just disc 5 to download), not sure if that can be easily configured to do what I want it to. Should I just go for a desktop system and install Apache, MySQL, and PHP from source?

Thanks!

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:40 pm

You can easily install LAMP on ubuntu desktop if you wanted.