X+stainless steel = 39mm hole. Solve for X.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:18 am

After consulting my dad who is a CNC machinist, I may be able to help you. First, stainless steel is incredibly hard as you probably know! I'm not sure why you have it for the siding of a portable. Aluminum would be just as strong for your purposes. But, anyway, He said that RMP is WAY to fast for that size of hole. The only possible way to do it would be with a 200-300$ carbide insert and a LOT of coolant. He said that that size of hole scares even a professional CNC machinist using a large milling machine. The whole machine shakes and rattles! And for what you said about scratching your way through, if the bit is softer then the stainless steel, which I think you said with it being cheap, You will scratch and melt away the bit before you scratch away the hole. I think the best, and only, solution is to just scrap the stainless steel casing and go with easy to work with aluminum
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:33 am

you could maybe use a jigsaw?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:34 am

Something tells me those hole saws were not designed for metal. You need a bit that was designed to drill through stainless steel.

Since the stainless steel has been hardened (there's less carbon in it now I guess), you can't use regular steel cutting instruments (ie cheap hole saws) to make holes in it. You're better off cutting diamonds with your teeth.

Is this for a portable? If so you don't need stainless. Use aluminum, because you can cut it with cheap tools and it's still plenty strong enough.
Last edited by bicostp on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:04 am

hmm, while the holes saw distribute the cutting force over too large an area to be effective. However, it left a guide for you if you want to nibble away the hole a little at a time using the pilot hole bit. It'll take quite a while, but just keep drilling holes all around the circumference untill you cut it out. It'll leave the edge a bit jagged, so use a piece if rubber stripping to cover the edge.