Semiconductor diode?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Mikeyman64
Semiconductor diode?

Post by Mikeyman64 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:21 pm

I need a semiconductor diode, but I don't have time to go to Radio shack any time soon. But I've got 2 busted mobos that I can rip parts from, one's a PSOne mobo and the other is an Atari 2600 mobo. Do you guys know where on those mobos a semiconductor diode might be? I need it to keep 12V DC from touching my 7.2V Infolithium battery just to let you know.

BTW: I'm almost done with my NOACp (temp name)! It runs PERFECTLY, I just have to tweek it up and get any bug that are in there exterminated. Then I'll post it in the News section.
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Hate to be a pest, but isn't a diode a semiconductor? Any diode is a semiconductor diode, isn't it? And to keep voltage off your battery, why don't you just wrap your battery in an insulator or something?

What do you mean by "touching"?
Hey, sup?

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:41 pm

Nevermind, I found a pack of 50 a Radio Shack.
Go Here! On Your Wii!

codeman

Post by codeman » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Hate to be a pest, but isn't a diode a semiconductor? Any diode is a semiconductor diode, isn't it?
nope, a diode itself is not a semiconductor. All diodes are made using semiconductor material though. I havent taken the semiconductor physics course yet, but I do know that silcon is the type of semiconductor that is most widely used. It's called a semiconductor because...well...it only somewhat conducts electricity in its intrinsic state. To make a silicon diode they dope the silicon lattice with electron acceptor atoms or electron donor atoms, creating a P-type or N-type material. When the P and N types are put together, you get the famous P-N junction that makes diodes possible, where things diffuse and drift and a voltage potential is created and all sorts of other junk that i still dont understand fully.

Anyway, thought i'd clear that up :P
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:54 pm

Wow. :shock: I just read all that (phrased differently) on wiki. You smart.
Go Here! On Your Wii!

codeman

Post by codeman » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:37 pm

haha...well i'm paying a lot of money to try to get smart, so i'm glad it's sort of working
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:50 pm

I know I'll be there someday.
Go Here! On Your Wii!