Info on an Infolithium L

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Mikeyman64
Info on an Infolithium L

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:35 pm

I am in the process of making a top secret, super sweet, super geto NESp (temporary name) and I'm powering it with a Sony Infolithium L type battery from an old Handycam. Well, I, nonthinkingly, destroyed the charger part that you clipped the battery to on the camera and now have nothing to charge it with. I still have the wall adapter that came with the camera and the female plug that it plugged into. So what I want to know is 2 things: 1. If the wall adapter can directly charge the battery. And 2. if I can set the battery up like it was on the camera. Meaning can I have the charger hooked up to the battery to charge it and have it power the unit at the same time? Or do I need to buy a seperate charger and just take the battery out every time I need to charge it?
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Well you should be able to charge the battery through the camcorder (will charge faster if off). However I can't say for sure that this would work, it would be best for you to test it out for yourself. And that test should only take like an hour or two so that you can see if the power level did go up.

I'm guessing that a charger for the battery will be something like $30 or more. So you might as well test to see if the camcorder has a charger builtin.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm

Well, the camcorder charger is destroid, so that's not an option. I think I'll just buy a charger on eBay for like $16. Here's another question, If I attach a 12v DC power adapter to the same places the battery is attached to, will that make somthing blow up, or will that be okay?
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:35 pm

Mikeyman64 wrote:Well, the camcorder charger is destroyed, so that's not an option. I think I'll just buy a charger on eBay for like $16. Here's another question, If I attach a 12v DC power adapter to the same places the battery is attached to, will that make somthing blow up, or will that be okay?
You can do that but you'll end up with a high possibility of the battery exploding. You need to use a charger that has electroinics in there to monitor the charge and temperature fof the battery.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.