OOPSIE! TV COLOR MESSED UP!

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Dr. KillGood
OOPSIE! TV COLOR MESSED UP!

Post by Dr. KillGood » Fri May 19, 2006 9:56 pm

I set my flashlight with the VERY powerful magner inside of it near the TV in out kitchen. Now the bottom left corner's color is funky. Any way to fix it cus the TV is to old and has no degausing functions? I herd it migth fix itself? :?:

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri May 19, 2006 10:16 pm

Yeah, it needs to be degaused, it might go away on its own, although I'm not sure.

*o*

Post by *o* » Fri May 19, 2006 10:24 pm

what causes that to happen?
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

watermelon

Post by watermelon » Sat May 20, 2006 6:43 am

ive done this loads of time on purpose just to look at the colors.

all you have to do is either deguass, or get a maganet, and sort of move the color so that its no longer on the screen. its hard to explain, but basically get a small magnet and try to move the colored area around.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sat May 20, 2006 7:06 am

i found that if you unplug the TV for 1 week, it should be gone.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat May 20, 2006 7:36 am

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat May 20, 2006 9:15 am

*o* wrote:what causes that to happen?
CRT displays have a metal mask right near the front of the monitor, with a holes (or slits) the size and shape of each pixel.

(i once had the opportunity to look at one of these when i found a smashed CRT monitor. the holes are sooo small man. it looks like a see-through piece of metal)

anyways, when you put a magnet near it, it may become magnetized itself. the electrons that are being aimed through the holes will deflect in the presence of this magnetic field, and electrons intended for one colour pixel may hit another colour one, or just the mask itself.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat May 20, 2006 9:26 am

timmeh87 wrote:
CRT displays have a metal mask right near the front of the monitor, with a holes (or slits) the size and shape of each pixel.

(i once had the opportunity to look at one of these when i found a smashed CRT monitor. the holes are sooo small man. it looks like a see-through piece of metal)

anyways, when you put a magnet near it, it may become magnetized itself. the electrons that are being aimed through the holes will deflect in the presence of this magnetic field, and electrons intended for one colour pixel may hit another colour one, or just the mask itself.
I learn a ton more here than at school. :D

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sat May 20, 2006 11:29 am

I did that with my TV. It just fixed itself over a period of an hour (being on the first half hour and being off the second.).

@Vskid: As do I. :D
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun May 21, 2006 1:11 pm

The TV isent used often mabe on for 2-3 hours a day so leaving it off wont fix it. :cry:

Degausing coild is to expensave as I am a cheepscate!

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sun May 21, 2006 1:28 pm

I believe I once saw a diy degause gun on g4tv.com. It worked like this. You had two magnets (I believe) and they straped them on a drill. Get them near your screen (while it's on) and start spining. it looks cool and degauses your screen.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun May 21, 2006 2:23 pm

If it's a fairly small TV you could try waving a metal bar with a bunch of magnets on it around the screen.

If you have another TV that's a similar size which does degauss itself, you could try this. Face them glass-to-glass on the floor as close as possible, turn the bad one on, then turn the good one on. The good one should degauss itself when it turns on, and it might have some effect on the bad TV.

Or you could try that trick but with a CRT computer screen. At school we have a couple old ones that are strong enough to degauss any other CRTs within a couple feet away.

If all else fails you can try looking up a repair place in the phone book.

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Sun May 21, 2006 3:37 pm

Only thing I have that can degaus is a computer monitor...

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Mon May 22, 2006 8:01 am

Set it close to the bad tv, and degauss. it should work.

*o*

Post by *o* » Mon May 22, 2006 5:44 pm

timmeh87 wrote:

I went and samshed a screen just to look and the are small! reallly small!

thanks for the description, very concise
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@