How to record movie from digital video camera to pc

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

minkster
How to record movie from digital video camera to pc

Post by minkster » Wed May 17, 2006 3:28 pm

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to record mini dv's to the pc...I heard you can do it with a firewire cable, but I don't have one...I do have an rca cable though. Is there any way I could go about getting it on pc that way? Thanks-minkster
Minktendo-Dead
Next portable: who knows ;)

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed May 17, 2006 3:31 pm

I assume you have a mini DV camcorder?
Buy an Adaptec firewire PCI card for $30 and hook it up to your camcorder. Then, use something like Windows Movie Maker to grab the video.

If you are willing to put up with crappy video quality and already have a video capture card, you could probably hook your camcorder up to that. But, it will look very bad.

minkster

Post by minkster » Wed May 17, 2006 3:58 pm

marshallh wrote:I assume you have a mini DV camcorder?
Buy an Adaptec firewire PCI card for $30 and hook it up to your camcorder. Then, use something like Windows Movie Maker to grab the video.

If you are willing to put up with crappy video quality and already have a video capture card, you could probably hook your camcorder up to that. But, it will look very bad.
You were referring to something like this right? If so, I believe I have that port built into my desktop. Underneath it, it is labeled 1394. Unfortunately I don't have the cable for it. Where would they sell them anyways? And what would it be called? Thanks for the quick response.
Minktendo-Dead

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed May 17, 2006 4:02 pm

I think it is a firewire port, not positive though...
I think just about anywhere with that kind of stuff will have a cable, like walmart, radioshack, best buy, etc.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed May 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Marshallah is right, though as long as you have a video card that is Radion 9000 or higher (or equivalent) you should have a decent to good picture if you connect the two via the RCA. As long as your computer and graphics card run fast enough to encode with a minimum frames droped you can have a good video then, I'd say don't use anything below a P4/G4 and the graphics card I mentioned above.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

minkster

Post by minkster » Wed May 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Eh, I can't do it with my radeon IGP 345m...its a low end card so I'll just get the cable.
Minktendo-Dead