Newcomers to the Forums, read this!

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Fanboy
Newcomers to the Forums, read this!

Post by Fanboy » Sun May 14, 2006 12:05 pm

Dear New Members,

As a new member of the benheck forums, you're going to need a basic understanding of all or most of the tools used in portablization. Basically, most of the tools are simple to use and with a little practice you can become a pro, others are trickier, here is a list of basic tools, and how to use them:

Soldering Irons: Probably the most important tool in your quest for a portable of any system, and unless you are very good with matches or have a super strong laser that government doesn't know about, you're going to need one. They're used to attach components together using small bits of melted metal so there is an electrical connection. You'll want a 15-watt pencil iron for portablization. You hold the rubber/plastic end and place the heated metal tip on the area you want to make the connection, cover it all over for a nice, strong connection. If you're unsure of how strong it is, lightly yank the wire to see if it comes off. Warning!!!: Solder likes sticking to solder, so be warned that molten solder will head in the direction of larger globs of solder.

Desoldering irons: Most game systems have what we like to call: Through Hole Parts, which mean that basically, there are little holes on the circuit board where you put the parts in before applying solder to them. To desolder leads, squeeze the bulb and put the tip onto the designated lead, release the bulb, lift the iron up and "Spit out" the left over solder. Note: If it is a large hunk of solder, suck it up in sections.

Hot Glue Guns: You'll want to buy a small one of these, and operation is fairly simple. You place a glue stick stick in the back and pull the trigger (or push it if you don't have a trigger) depositing the glue where wanted. You can manipulate the glue with your fingers, simply lick them and press. It comes out feeling like you touched a hot french fry. To remove it, simply peel up.

These are all the tools that you really need instructions for, so, HAPPY McPORTABLIZING!!

Also, if you have any tutorials for tool useage, or a write up you'd like to put in, post it here and I'll add it. Please use proper spelling and grammar.

Fanboy
God Bless Hot Glue

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sun May 14, 2006 12:54 pm

Nice guide, but I wouldn't reccomend using your fingers to manupulated hot glue... :wink:
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

loup

Post by loup » Sun May 14, 2006 1:13 pm

you should probably avoid putting the freshly heated up glue on your fingers, but after a couple of seconds it cools enough so you can touch it but is still malleable enough to squish around
From the OLD ozforces forums
- Offenders will be bashed. Repeat Offenders will be repeatedly bashed.

Weebl

Post by Weebl » Sun May 14, 2006 1:55 pm

Yeah, I've had really bad experiences with hot glue. Every time I use hot glue I burn myself, yet I've never so much as grazed myself with a soldering iron. As loup said, if you wait for it to cool down a bit, then you can touch it with wet fingers. But make sure you lick the entirety of your finger that will touch the glue...
Women are like internet domain names; all the ones I like are taken
Check out my shameless abuse of free blogging here

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Sun May 14, 2006 2:00 pm

I have never ever hurt myself with hot glue. I can lick my fingers and touch it the moment it comes out and not so much as flinch... Soldering irons on the other hand... I have three scars on my hand. One is just a dot from poking myself, the other is from a time I got suprised (forget why) and gripped the hot part of soldering iron between my middle and index finger... Ouch... I also have scars on my feet... All over the place and not just from molten solder chips...
God Bless Hot Glue

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun May 14, 2006 2:26 pm

If I may add, a 15w soldering iron is mostly useless for all but the tiniest soldering jobs. If you're relocating a slot with large ground planes or desoldering things, a 30w iron is a must.

loup

Post by loup » Sun May 14, 2006 2:42 pm

:? I've got an adjustable soldering iron and I almost never have to bring it above 20 watts, the only times I've gone higher are when I'm desoldering something with large blobs of solder used to just hold it to the board
From the OLD ozforces forums
- Offenders will be bashed. Repeat Offenders will be repeatedly bashed.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Sun May 14, 2006 3:44 pm

loup wrote:you should probably avoid putting the freshly heated up glue on your fingers, but after a couple of seconds it cools enough so you can touch it but is still malleable enough to squish around

That works, or buy a low temp glue gun. shure it dries super quick, but you can mold it with your hands without getting burned! (use caution if you try this!)
Making XNA Games in C#.

DeathJr89

Post by DeathJr89 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:15 pm

that tutorial on the tools helped a lot, being a complete newbie at this myself, i greatly appreciated the help. if there is any other information anyone could offer on anything at all, that too would be greatly appreciated.
This fall...
Death strikes twice...
wOOt