ni-mh battery series charging

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterful
ni-mh battery series charging

Post by gamemasterful » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:43 pm

New question on last post.

I want to make a portable with a GOAC (radica) and NOAC (Mega/Super Joy 3) in the same system. But I want to have a single D-pad and 3 button layout (not counting start/select) How would I wire it so that the controls don't conflict with the other system? Or tell me if I'm already having the right idea.

The buttons share the same ground. Each controller chip has it's own power run from the GOAC or NOAC respectively, instead of straight to the power supply. Then each positive line (two total from each button) is attached to the respective leads of each chip. Will this work? Or will the volts running through the momentary button somehow cross to the other console for a split second?
Last edited by gamemasterful on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

timmeh87

Re: GOAC and NOAC shared controls

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Yeah, you got the idea.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:22 pm

gamemasterful wrote:Or will the volts running through the momentary button somehow cross to the other console for a split second?
I've not tried this particular combination, but that can happen. I had a Genesis controller hooked to my arcade cabinet, and I left an arcade board inside at the same time, and things went weird -- a button pressed might also press another button, buttons ignored entirely, and buttons triggering more than once until I removed the arcade board.

There are combination systems that have multiple 'OACS - including some with NES and Genesis (usually with SNES too) that use active circuitry to convert one type of joypad output to the other that you might consider if it doesn't work.

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:02 pm

If both controllers in question use a Common Ground button setup then just use some Diodes, 1N4148 or similar, 2 for each button. That will keep them from conflicting with each other.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Sweetness, I'm guessing place the diodes on the VCC line.

Also I have a battery question. I'm using 6 C-cell Ni-Mh batteries in my portable in a series, for a total of 7.2 volts at 3000mAh. I know how to wire them up, kinda. I want to use the retro-duo switch so I can switch between consoles, middle being off, but I don't know what type of switch it is. http://www.longhornengineer.com/Projects/DuopV1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is sorta a pinout, but it's not clear enough for the purposes I want to use it for. I want to have the charger built in if possible. A plus would be charging and playing at the same time. Another plus would be not having to remove them to charge them.

I figured out most of my wiring for the power and batteries. There is just one snag. I want to kill the current being drawn from the batteries whenever I insert a power cord. So that the power cord completely powers the console and activates the charger without the system pulling current from the batteries while they are charging. I know people around the forums have been hacking the ports physically to cram in a mini momentary switch for controller purposes (IE N64 portables detecting whenever an external controller is connected.) but I was hoping for something along the lines of a chip of sorts that would detect the current added by the power cable on one pin and cut the power coming from the batteries on another pin. Remaining pin(s) going to the system to complete the circuit. Anyone know of anything that will do this?