polymer li-ion battery pack con. help *RESOLVED*

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
polymer li-ion battery pack con. help *RESOLVED*

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:41 pm

ok, i don't know if i'm just really dense or what. i was using these two lovely diagrams from members of this forum:

and wouldn't you know, as i was connecting things up, suddenly there was a whole lot of smoke, melting wires, and scary popping sounds. i immediately disconnected the wires. so now i'm freaked out to try hooking up my batteries again. can someone help me out with a more complete diagram?

i'm using 2 of these batteries. my pcb is this. and i am using this for my 7805.

what i'm needing is a complete diagram showing how to hook up the batteries, pcb board, dc jack, 7805, switch, putting 7.2v to the psone screen and 5v to the retro duo. also, any tips would be great. i think my problem might have been that i had all of the batteries wired up but didn't have all the connections to the pcb yet. is there a particular order you should wire these up in? and when a diagram shows a wire splitting two or three ways, which is the best way to accomplish this? or does that simply mean to have two different connections from point a to point b, not to split the wire...? did that even make sense...?

i appreciate any and all help you can give me! i really don't want my portable to explode some day just because i didn't get how to hook up my batteries correctly. thanks, guys!
Last edited by lovablechevy on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:13 am

Smoke and melting wires is usually a sign that you have the positive terminal of your batteries somehow touching the negative terminal. While the two batteries do need to be connected in series, the other two free ends (one negative, one positive) must never touch or else you get what happened. Check your connections and see if that is what is happening - the positive terminal of the batteries is touching the negative somehow.

Or, you might have wired the thing up opposite of how it should be. I fried a Super Joy III by wiring up the power exactly opposite of how it should have been wired and I got a nice little popping sound, a little bit of smoke, and a fried NOAC.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:20 am

ok, so after looking over those diagrams some more, i realize that they contradict each other. so i thought i'd make this a little easier. here is a diagram i have made with as much of what i know. can someone simply complete it for me? i'm not sure if the connection to my nice little circuit board is supposed to be coming from the p+ & p-, the b+ & b-. or directly from the batteries...

LoB: luckily, i didn't have it connected up to anything but the pcb. so all it ruined was some wires. *whew* i was being extra careful to not do this incorrectly, i just think that i am not completely aware of what is supposed to be done.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:44 pm

The diagram you made is correct. Connect your screen and system (with its regulator) to p- and p+
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Life of Brian wrote:The diagram you made is correct. Connect your screen and system (with its regulator) to p- and p+
thank you so much! that's where my problem was. i was hooking them up directly to the batteries.

rikitheshadow

Ohhhhhh

Post by rikitheshadow » Fri May 23, 2008 12:50 am

Never seen the Lithium Poly's or whatever you call them, from what your saying they would have a enormously long playing time. 5400mA jeez!

Where do you find some batteries like that?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri May 23, 2008 6:50 am

http://www.batteryspace.com/

they have tons of great batteries and such. :D just make sure, if you are getting this type of battery, to get the pcb and the charger. otherwise you're screwed.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat May 24, 2008 12:21 am

lovablechevy wrote:http://www.batteryspace.com/

they have tons of great batteries and such. :D just make sure, if you are getting this type of battery, to get the "pcb" and the charger. otherwise you're screwed.

Oh, took me a minute to find the batteries which you have in the diagram, but I have no idea where to find the PCB......Is it from the same site?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat May 24, 2008 10:07 pm

just look at the first entry in this thread. i give links to the batteries and pcb.