New NESportable, Unnamed. 56k warning

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator: Moderators

drac22

New NESportable, Unnamed. 56k warning

Post by drac22 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 pm

So, about a year ago or so I finished working on a portable Nintendo, built off of a full size NES motherboard, Using this project as a starting point. http://nestable.classicgaming.gamespy.com/plans.shtml I had finished everything but a few touch ups, and the power supply (Old was 8 AAs) only ran for 20 minutes. Not good. I have since reworked it to run off a Mac 11.5V Laptop battery. It works out pretty good I think. Well, here are the pics.
The front of the NESportable. Lots of screws holding things to the face, controls and whatnot. heh heh Bottom left is the reset switch.
Side view showing the 2p port.
Top view. Cart slot, AC power in, volume control, and power select. I made it a physical switch so when I was running on AAs power from the AC in wouldn't feed back into AAs.
The laptop battery. It has no idea what's coming. :)
BAM! Battery inserted. I used a destroyed laptop to get the connection that the battery plugs into.
Back view with battery inserted. The bare circuit showing is the old laptop power circuit, and does nothing for the NES. But it is very stable and the best way I could find to mount it was to leave it intact.
Game inserted.
Game playing. That screw isn't sticking out of the side of the case, its just unfortunately placed.
Stupid screw.
Backside of the faceplate. Screen in the center, NES controllers on top, speaker on bottom left, and bottom right is the reset switch.
Blurry closeup of the master controller. The D-pad on the right has its controls wired to the master mad on the left, which feeds the system.
The NES motherboard, and custom video circuit on the left.
Better angle on the video circuit.eople.rit.edu/~tmm5604/personal/game%20pics/nes%20portable/100_3681.JPG[/img]

jjhammerstein

Re: New NESportable, Unnamed. 56k warning

Post by jjhammerstein » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Wow, that case layout isn't planned very well. :?
Good job on actually working though, I can't seem to do it.

That battery gets you what, 20 hours of play? XD
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

.:jads:.

Post by .:jads:. » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 pm

it looks good, but what are the dimensions?

it seems pretty thick for a "portable"

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Your portable is a beast! Nice work though, and you probably get a lot of battery life. :D
I applaud. Honestly, at least you have portablized something, most users here never do. (I have yet to finish mine).
Congratulations. Play it a lot.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Huh, you didn't remove the expansion port? Well, I suppose with your case, you would not need to. Nice work!
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

drac22

Post by drac22 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:37 pm

yeah its a beast, but its fun to bust it out when people aren't expecting it for some one on one Dr. Mario. :) My screen is the main reason its so big. Its a 5.4 inch cathode lit screen, so its wide and thick. Even with my case being 4 inches thick I just barely clear the screen over the NES motherboard. The thickness or size really isn't an issue though, since I have the controls set up GBA style, you hold then entire case with your hands and palms. The battery life is quite nice with the laptop batteries, I think I'll be using them for several other projects like this. :)

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I'm working on my atari portable next, it should actually be "portable" sized. I've also recently picked up a powerjoy, so someday I'll make a portable NES to size as well.

-Drac22

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:40 pm

This forum needs more Atari portables! I think after working with an NES you will like how small you can get an Atari's board.

Great job on finishing your NES portable!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!