FC Mobile review and compatibility...

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator: Moderators

Tibia
PSN Username: Tibia1013
Steam ID: Mulder101361

FC Mobile review and compatibility...

Post by Tibia » Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 pm

MOVED OFF-SITE.
Last edited by Tibia on Fri May 09, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username: FullFreak
360 GamerTag: GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Tue May 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Sounds like a pretty good console. Seems like its worth $50 bucks. lol is bugs bunny your only game or only one you've tried? XD

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Tue May 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Sorry to double post. I just wanted to say I updated my review. I've tested nearly all my meager game library. If anyone has any doubles they want to sell, PM me.

Also, if you end up getting one, (honestly, I wouldn't do so again) let me know your compatibility and I'll add to the list.

I just realized I'm missing two games on there. I'll add them when I find them.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Tue May 06, 2008 3:10 pm

GoldenfrankO wrote:Sounds like a pretty good console. Seems like its worth $50 bucks. lol is bugs bunny your only game or only one you've tried? XD
lol Actually, I updated just as you were typing that. Check it out again.

nightwheel
PSN Username: nightwheel
360 GamerTag: nightwheel94
Steam ID: nightwheel

Post by nightwheel » Wed May 07, 2008 5:04 pm

Does that game I sent you work on the FC Mobile Tibia?

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Wed May 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Tibia wrote: lol Actually, I updated just as you were typing that. Check it out again.
XD I see that now... nearly 24 hours later.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 pm

wow, thats pretty awesome, so it only took...20 years for us to have...THE SEGA GAME GEAR. Hopefully someone will make a Nomad-style genesis portable (only smaller and more battery efficient with a better screen) since companies are finally getting their s--- together now.

oh yeah, and how is the build quality? is it decent? does it feel like it will break in your hands or does it feel almost OEM Nintendo fare?

P.S. you forgot to take the plastic film off of the screen, hence the reason there are bubbles on the screen in the picture.

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 am

TibiaAlso wrote:, if you end up getting one, (honestly, I wouldn't do so again)
Any reason why?

bicostp
Steam ID: bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Here's a solution to the battery problem, ripped off from an old 80s Walkman knock-off I have around somewhere:

Get a piece of fairly thin string (narrow ribbon would be better), and tie a knot in one end. Drill a hole in the battery holder above the third battery pit that's both big enough for the string to pass through but small enough that the knot can't. Thread the string through the hole, with the knot on the inside of the case (not in the battery holder). You can super glue the knot to the case if you want. When you put the third battery in, put it on top of the string. When you need to change the battery, just pull the string and the battery should pop right out.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Thu May 08, 2008 1:14 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote:oh yeah, and how is the build quality? is it decent? does it feel like it will break in your hands or does it feel almost OEM Nintendo fare?
Honestly, I am not the least bit impressed with the build quality. It feels very cheap. I also don't like that they mounted two grilles, but only one speaker. Your average user would never look inside, so to me, it feels kind of like they're trying to pull one over on you. I understand it's not like the NES has stereo sound, but seriously, how many people would really figure that out?

I may go ahead and build a new case at some point. I dropped it last night, and the speaker mounting broke, so the speaker's just flopping around inside. If/when I do, I'd also like to mount the cart slot more securely. I feel like I'm going to rip it right out of the casing if I'm not extremely careful.
17daysolderthannes wrote:P.S. you forgot to take the plastic film off of the screen, hence the reason there are bubbles on the screen in the picture.
Actually, I left it on intentionally. The bubbles don't really bother me much, so I decided to leave it there until I got some real screen covering material. It turns out that was a good idea, since last night, my rat crawled across the screen while I was playing.

Bubbles:I have a console NES already, and despite its age, it's not half as finicky as this thing is. I've gotten dirty games to work perfectly on the NES, and I've had clean games fail to work at all on this thing. It feels extremely cheap, and I did break the speaker mounts last night. Since I already had an NES console, it's more or less a for travel only thing. Honestly, though, I'd pack the GBA first. I'd worry a lot less about that breaking. I suppose I'd value it more if I didn't already have the NES, since this does do TV out.

That said, I don't have any plans to get rid of it, yet. I may do so after I get my portable built, though.

Bicostp:That fix hadn't even crossed my mind. I may still have to enlarge the battery hole, but that would definitely make this a lot easier. The most irritating bit is that the battery is longer than the access hole. The ribbon would definitely save me having to widen the hole and breaking through the plastic. I'll be giving that a try for sure!

Another thing I noticed was that Rad Racer was the game pictured on the box, and it was working perfectly. After a thorough cleaning, I finally got my copy to work without the color issue. I've ordered some game bits (since I broke three or four spanner bits trying to open one game), and I'm going to give my games a thorough cleaning and try them all again.

mikeskates7

Post by mikeskates7 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Hey Tibia, did you switch the A and B buttons?

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat May 10, 2008 3:15 pm

WTF did the mods do to him!?

GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Sat May 10, 2008 4:02 pm

something to piss him off. It's not hard to piss tibia off though. XD

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Sun May 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Well that's about as childish as it gets.
Insulting signature? Check.
Deleted all posts? Check.
Updated avatar so everyone knows you're not here anymore? Check.

Buh-bye.

GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Sun May 11, 2008 3:46 pm

at least I got my refund before he quit. XD