lovablechevy's HandyPNP - the Plug & Play portable!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
lovablechevy's HandyPNP - the Plug & Play portable!

Post by lovablechevy » Sun May 04, 2014 10:25 pm

a long time ago in a forum far, far away… there was the first portabelooza ever held. while i attempted to take part with the Handy Gear, i was not able to get it done in time. however, one bacteria went on to make a first ever system: a multi mini console that would play all sorts of plug and play systems! this was done back around aug/sept of 2008. i knew from the moment i saw it what a brilliant idea it was and that i must make my own version someday. of course, i didn’t expect that to be 5.5+ years down the road… i even started collecting everything for it the very same month bacteria released his. funny how life gets in the way and other projects are good at distracting you.

after all those years, i can finally present to you my HandyPNP!

why, you may ask? i never have AAs or AAAs on hand. this will allow for me to actually play these games (which most i've had for about 5.5 years or more). also, this will save a lot of room. the 20+ plug and plays i have were in an overflowing bin. they will now only take up the space of 20+ famicom carts (some the larger version, most the normal size) and the HandyPNP itself. easily taking up less than 1/4 of the room the plug and plays themselves take. :D

HandyPNP - plug and play portable

specs:
base console – houses just the 3.5” screen, controls, batteries, and all needed jacks/ports/other buttons (there is no actual system in the base console)
system – various plug and plays chopped up to fit inside famicom game carts
power – 2 3.7v li-ion 3200 mAh batteries with 8-10 hours at screen brightness 100% and volume at ½ (time will vary depending on game cart in use)
case – frankencased sl-64p & lp-55p (polycase.com) with varying p&p controller casing epoxied in
controller – varying p&p controller boards
random tidbits – power led (white); low battery indicator (red); case has custom made sticker; each game cart has custom made game label and controller instructions on back; has a/v out, headphone jack, and 2nd player port (currently unfinished)

please feel free to visit my facebook page to see all pictures taken during the process.

a few measurements of the system:
weight of portable – 15.6 ounces
weight of game carts – varies from 2-3.2 ounces depending on cart
thickness – 2"
height – 4”
height with standard PNP game cart – 4 1/16”
height with taller PNP game cart – 5 ¼”
length – 6”

look at all the space i’m saving!

this project took me 6 weeks from the moment i started case work (march 22). but a LOT of planning went into it before that. i was working on labels and such at least a good month before i started any case work (february 20 was the first label made). it isn’t fully completed yet. i only was able to get 12 game carts done in the timeframe i had to work. i plan to do an update when I get the remaining game carts finished and the 2nd player controller made and tested

big thanks go out to tibia, bungle, and bacteria.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!