HandyNES inspired by NES controller commission

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
HandyNES inspired by NES controller commission

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 pm

ok, so, back around mid may, i took on my first commission. i told my buyer that it should take me 1-2 months to complete if all went smoothly. of course that did not happen. i ran into all sorts of issues surrounding the nes2 board i was using. after about 4.5 months time, i gave up on that board. i had to just give in, pull money out of my own pockets, and get a new board. once i had the new board, it only took 2 weekends to finish. fast forward to now, and i present to you:

(no, the controller is not part of it. it was simply the inspiration.

this is a "dumbed down" version of my own HandyNES. it goes along side it as being one of the smallest fully original hardware NES portables. my buyer really wanted it to be inspired by an NES controller. so, i did what i could. on to more pics!

HandyNES commission in detail

specs:
system – nes version 2
power – 2 3.7v li-ion 1500 mAh batteries (haven't tested fully yet, but should get the same as my HandyNES: 3 hours with full volume and screen brightness 50%)
case – frankencased sl-64p & lp-55p (polycase.com) with nes controller casing
controller – original nes controller cut up
random tidbits – uses the longhorn engineer’s (rekarp) nes2 composite mod (seeing as it’s the best and the simplest); power led added in (white); low battery indicator (red); case has custom made sticker; has a/v out and headphone jack

please feel free to visit my facebook page to see all pictures taken during the process.

a few measurements of the system:
weight of portable – 1 lb
weight of portable with game (varies by game) – ~1 lb 4 oz
thickness – 2"
height – 4”
height with nes game – 6 1/3"
length – 6”

this project took me 5.5 months time. a lot of that time was me just being frustrated at not being able to get the nes working properly. it would have been done much sooner if the original nes i bought didn't get messed up (which i still have no clue what i did).

oh! and for those wondering, yes, i do have my signature hot pink in the portable.
Last edited by lovablechevy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: HandyNES inspired by NES controller commission

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:04 am

Way to go - that's a classic portable. Not enough love for the official hardware.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:14 pm

video added to first post
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 am

I think I just soiled myself! Beautiful work 8)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 am

I thought you were going to use the Super 8 PCB I sent.
oh well.

Very nice work, but I can't help but imagine how things would have turned out using a NES Super 8.

I have a smaller PCB v2.0 if you'd like

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:11 am

i am going to be using the super 8 board you sent. but this was a commission specifically for a nes2 portable.

with the super 8 board i currently have, it would have also been in a bigger casing. i've studied the board quite a lot to see how i could possibly cut it down. there's not much option to trimming it. it would never have fit in this casing. also, using it would mean that it would not be a HandyNES, as the HandyNES specifically uses original hardware. it'd be a Handy8 or Handy S8 instead! :)

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:02 am

ha ha I was joking.

The v2.0 Super 8 board is same size as v1.1, but can be trimmed more than v1.1 because of the rear ports on board which wouldn't be needed for a portable. If you haven't installed parts on v1.1 yet, PM me and I'll send a free v2.0.

Also, it's as close to original hardware as you can get. Don't change the HandyNES name. :lol:

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 am

Sorry to bump, but I really like this portable!!!! Great job lovablechevy. That thing just looks fun to play :)
Image Image