Blargaman's portable GC

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Blargaman91
Blargaman's portable GC

Post by Blargaman91 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 am

I've made a little progress on this portable GameCube I started a while ago. I've restarted it recently, so it's all pretty new. And I know that everything looks horrible as crap. I have no experience in casework, and didn't feel adequate to try any real buttons (just tacts). I'm also less than a year into electronics at all, but here's my progress so far:

You can see that I"ve had many a screw up, especially with the D-pad. I had planned to simply have four holes, but my clumsy hands did it all wrong and I had to cut a giant hole to fix it. The menu/volume button holes were drilled initially out of place, too. I cut up a third party controller down to the IC to use:

I have two R shoulder buttons and two L buttons. One triggers analog fully pressed and the other triggers analog and digital pressed, or it should. Both buttons (on one given side) trigger the analog fully, but do nothing for the digital buttons press. I used the transistor method for this, and it isn't working:

I'm using an iPod/iPhone external sound amp with DS Lite speakers:

The volume does not get very loud because I had to replace the 1k smd resistors in series with the input with 47k! This was just required because otherwise audio was very scratchy/buzzy. Anyone know why that is?

I will be using two 3DS analog sticks, though I'm not quite sure what the best way to wire them is. I hope to have PSP caps on them with the rubber cap of a real GameCube main stick and C stick.

I'm still a beginner, and I need a little help with my first portable! :|
Last edited by Blargaman91 on Mon May 06, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Blargaman's portable GC

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon May 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Pictures don't show...
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

metrolf
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:rasmooos

Post by metrolf » Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Nice, but for the love of God, tacts? I would really suggest cutting pieces from a gamecube controller, you can even use the original circuit board contacts and solder to them. It's fairly easy to get decent buttons this way. If not for all the buttons, at LEAST do this with A,B,X and Y, you will thank me later :wink:

Now, good luck with the rest of the project! :D
thewise1 wrote:
nobble wrote:
thewise1 wrote:Super long, but incredibly epic.
YESSSSSS!!!
Oh my gosh! What have I done?

Blargaman91

Post by Blargaman91 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 am

I know, I know. But if you know of a GameCube controller with buttons that will fit in that space, do tell. I don't even know how to mount the buttons without modifying the case severely... which I cannot do -_-.

EDIT: I realize I can use other smaller buttons, but even then...