I built a NES pretty much from scratch.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

low_budget
I built a NES pretty much from scratch.

Post by low_budget » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Behold the NES Super 8!

The NES Super 8 is a new video game console that plays Nintendo NES games using the original CPU and PPU chips. This is as close to a real NES system as you can get and plays games exactly like the original system. All new components are used with the exception of the 2 original Nintendo chips.

I designed the PCB and assemble these by hand using all new components with the exception of the CPU and PPU which are from an original Nintendo console or arcade system.

The common $20-$80 NES clone systems use a "Nintendo on a chip" and have compatibility problems with many games and do not accurately reproduce the sound.
The original Nintendo NES front loader has problems with the security chip and cartridge connector.

The NES Super 8 was designed to provide the best quality picture and stereo sound while having excellent compatibility with games and accessories. All games tested work and are playable; approximately 2% of NES games have minor graphics glitches (depending on PPU type.)

RGB NES Super 8 v1.1 mounted in AG-85 case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKounk0-aAg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Differences between composite and RGB versions video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeUKCWg8vy0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The NES Super 8 project is discussed here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/20 ... ge__st__50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... 101#bottom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The composite video version of the NES Super 8 uses the CPU and PPU removed from a NES or Famicom. Picture quality is clearer and sharper than an original NES.

The RGB video version of the NES Super 8 uses the CPU and PPU removed from a compatible Nintendo arcade game board.
The video output is amplified (and sync cleaned) RGB. This can be converted to VGA, component, s-video, or composite video that looks amazing. The best possible picture from original Nintendo hardware. A Genesis pinout 8 pin DIN cable is used for RGB video output to a monitor or converter. Pinout available here: http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Stereo RCA jacks are used for the audio connection. Any NES controller or accessory can be plugged into the top mounted ports.

The original chips needed:

CPU: RP2A03 can be found in NTSC Nintendo NES, Famicom, and various Nintendo arcade circuit boards. The CPU is soldered in the consoles. The Nintendo Vs. arcade PCBs as well as the Playchoice 10 have these chips in sockets so they are much easier to remove. Some Vs. boards may have 2 CPU chips.

PPU: RP2C02G video output is composite. This can be found in any NTSC NES or Famicom system. This chip is soldered in place.
RC2C03B video output will be RGB. Can be found in Playchoice 10 or Vs. games Duck Hunt, Tennis, Vs. Battle City, Vs. Mahjong, and Vs. Star Luster.
RC2C03C video output will be RGB. In some versions of Vs. Duck Hunt.

Features include:
The original CPU and PPU chips at the same clock speed
98% compatibility with NES games (Famicom games work with adapter.)
Vastly improved video output over a NES or Famicom.
Adjustable stereo sound with auxiliary audio input from cartridge.
Reliable card edge 72 pin cartridge connector.
Compatible with most accessories like the PowerPak, Zapper and ROB.

Known incompatible games:
Composite video version has graphics glitches in Super Mario 3 and Super C.
Composite video version displays in black and white on older tube TVs.
RGB video version has glitchy enemy fighter in Punch Out and Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

The NES Super 8 PCB measures 6-1/2" x 4-5/16" and can be mounted in a variety of cases. It has been designed to fit perfectly in a Polycase AG-85.

I sell the bare PCBs and assembled systems on eBay or I can be contacted directly.
Attachments
NES Super 8 v1.1 RGB white fully assembled 4s.JPG
lots of work to assemble and wire that
NES Super 8 v1.1 RGB white fully assembled 4s.JPG (87.3KiB)Viewed 22345 times
NES Super 8 v1.1 RGB white fully assembled 1s.JPG
RGB ready NES with stereo in a compact size
NES Super 8 v1.1 RGB white fully assembled 1s.JPG (65KiB)Viewed 22345 times

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: I built a NES pretty much from scratch.

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 am

Mind sharing where you get your 72 pin cartridge connectors?

Nice work on the system, by the way. I like the idea of using a whole new PCB for the RGB mod.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:12 am

The cartridge slot is Digikey part #A31721-ND.
It isn't the exact same pitch as the original connector, but it is so close that it works fine and I've never had a problem.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 am

low_budget wrote:The cartridge slot is Digikey part #A31721-ND.
It isn't the exact same pitch as the original connector, but it is so close that it works fine and I've never had a problem.
Think I recall Ben saying the NES cart contacts have a pitch of 2.5 mm, rather than the standard 2.54 mm. That would probably not be enough deviation to prevent its working.

wilykat

Post by wilykat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm

A 0.04mm error would amount only to a total of 1.44mm wider cart slot. Too small a variation between NES and standard connector to be a problem.

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:07 pm

low_budget wrote:The cartridge slot is Digikey part #A31721-ND.
Thanks!
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"