Portable PSX Build

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Indecom
Portable PSX Build

Post by Indecom » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post here on the forums, and also my first portable console build. Surprisingly enough it's turning out very promising :D . I tried building my own case for the device, but it ended up warping and becoming unusuable so instead i'm building it into this case:

Here's a video of the current progress on the portable, the lcd screen is displaying in s-video, but i'll be migrating over to rgb once i can figure out how to solder such tiny wires so close together:

At this moment I am not using the psOne screen with the built in speakers, So once i get all the controller wires finished up, soldered all nice and neat, my next step will be trying to get sound output. Unfortunately i can't figure out how to amplify the volume being output from the psx av/out to a point where it's both hearable period, and at a high volume since the ps1 outputs only line volume. Any suggestions on where i can get cheap/free if possible amp chips or speaker solutions? I really appreciate you guys taking a look at this fancy lil beast. I'll update this post later on with a bit more detail but for now here are some progress pictures on the controller/disc tray build:

EDIT: hey guys ive run into avery weird issue. After soldering the controllerwiresdirectly to the controllerport my controller stopped working. I know all my buttons are wired right as ive tested them repeatedly without any issues. Anybody else run into similar issues?

Indecom

Re: Portable PSX Build

Post by Indecom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Hy guys, got my PTH08080WAZ in the mail today from Texas instruments, so i can finally swap out that overly huge power supply. However work can't continue on this project until i can figure out what's going on with my controller.

Kiruha2012

Re: Portable PSX Build

Post by Kiruha2012 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55 am

This console is really cool! Please don't forget to post some pics with console in action!