Original Gamecube controller to wireless mod

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

harvey263
Original Gamecube controller to wireless mod

Post by harvey263 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:43 pm

“Why not just get a Wavebird?” …because.

Alright so simple idea; use the pcb from one of these Rocketfish controllers and replace all parts with original GC stuff. DOL-003-BIRD? haha

The knockoff board matches the original nearly spot on so it makes for a nice fit inside the case (with a little trimming here and there). The hardest part was probably desoldering all of the Rocketfish parts cleanly. Big globs of rock-hard solder as opposed to the GC board that was a total breeze. I debated a few different battery solutions and ended up going with a similar setup as the Rocketfish, 2 X AAA inside the handles. It turned out great, feels just like an original controller minus the wire (and minus rumble :( ). I’m working on a second one now then plan on internalizing the receivers in my wiikey fusion cube.

I considered just using a tact switch for the Start button, but decided to rig some copper pads to keep the mashy feel.

The only modification visible on the outside is the power switch and an eighth inch jack for charging the batteries.