Almost Universal Wireless Gaming Client

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Narik
Almost Universal Wireless Gaming Client

Post by Narik » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 am

As project completion was my top priority in order to keep the wife happy (ie...cleanup the mess!), here I am again posting completed project number two!

First, I just want to say that I take no credit for the originality of this idea, as this is just an extension of the outstanding Xbox 360 and PS3 Wireless Visual Interfaces that Techknott has been so gracious as to share with all of us.

Again, if it had not been for Techknott's projects, I most likely would never have thought of making this. Hmm wonder if Nintendo would have thought about their Wii U interface as well?......We might just have Techknott to thank for that!

Anyways, after reviewing Technott's amazing work, I began work on my project quite some time ago.

The nuts and bolts.....
For the housing, I used two AG-85 cases from PolyCase.com. Found here http://www.polycase.com/ag-85

I used only the thin back covers from the cases and butted them together to create a thinner case to work with. I then shaved down and smoothed one of the top plate covers to complete the case housing.

For wireless control, I used a wireless combination PS2, PS3, PC controller called a Thrustmaster T-Wireless 3-in-1 Rumble Force. I originally purchased it from Amazon, but it is now showing as unavailable.
This also had the added bonus that there are PS2 Dualshock adapters for almost every game system, including the Neo Geo Aes, which allowed me to adapt that specific adapter to my consolized Hyper Neo Geo to play those games through this as well.

The actual buttons are a combination of Sega Saturn D-Pad/buttons, and third party PS2 controls. The "Zelect" and "Ztart" buttons are two Sega Saturn Z buttons. All four back trigger buttons are from a third party PC controller.

You will notice at the top right side of the front of the unit, there is a black square with a circle in it, this is a wireless micro trackball. At the top left, you will see two Sega Saturn C buttons. These are the left and right mouse buttons for the trackball and are installed with clicky tacts.

My whole reason for the trackball is the ability to have mouse-look while playing FPS PC games. Left analog to move around, while looking around with the trackball. Having that kind of precision really cannot be achieved with a look-spring on an analog stick. Just my opinion...

The screen is a 4.3" lcd from priceangels.com. Found here http://www.priceangels.com/4.3-inch_LCD ... p8211.html

Using the front half of the lcd raised up off the face of the unit, allowed me to have complete internal space to work with inside the gaming client housing.

The + and - symbol buttons are the volume up and down for the integrated external battery powered mp3 amp and speakers. The speakers ended up being so loud, that there really was no point in placing sound vents within the unit.
The sound output when playing games on this is really amazing. I think I paid $10 bucks for this mp3 speaker system at Frys electronics.

The audio and video transmission is with a 5.8ghz wireless av transmitter and receiver. There are numerous setups, options and frequencies that would and can work here as well.

Power is provided by two 3.7v 5000mah LiPo's from batteryspace.com, wired in series for 7.4v with protection circuit and smart charger. Voltage is stepped down to 3.3v for the wireless trackball, wireless controller and the audio amp using the standard method presented in threads for N64p's. I also installed a three way switch for battery-power/Off/Play-While-Charging.

I honestly have ran this for about 12 hours and then finally needed to charge it. Sound volume begins to drop when it needs to charge. Other than that there are no other effects.

Range is crystal clear to about 30 feet. This is usually towards the limit of the wireless trackball and controller, so it's a good balance.

So far I use this to play games via controller adapters on my PC, PS2, Consolized Hyper Neo Geo and Xbox 360. I would love to use this for my GameCube, but for some reason both Dualshock to Gamecube adapters I have, end up leaving one Gamecube button unmapped, which ends up meaning I cannot do certain, usually important things within the games. Hence the "Almost Universal".
I also didn't include a "Home" button on the unit since I don't own a PS3, but that can be added later if I decide to buy a PS3 at some point.

Well here are the completed pics!

The full album can be viewed here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nariks/set ... 980464086/

Gameplay videos coming soon!
Edit: Gameplay videos now available at: http://www.youtube.com/user/Narikzs?fea ... TWZTRR0LmU
Last edited by Narik on Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------PSP Redux---------------Wireless Gaming Client----

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Almost Universal Wireless Gaming Client

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:08 am

That is really awesome! How'd you pull off the spiffy volume buttons?

Narik

Post by Narik » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks!
This was actually part of the mp3 external audio amp that I picked up.
I actually used a round, ball-point carving/engraving bit for my Dremel to get the basic shape and then smoothed it off with my tiny file set. I also had to shave away material from inside the case to get the volume up/down button to fit flush with the outside of the case.

lexxion83

Post by lexxion83 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:35 am

First off, wonderful work :) Congrats.

I am working on a similar thing but much, much simpler as I do not have much time/skills.

I am putting 7" HD Monitor + 5.8Ghz AV Receiver and maybe a battery inside a case. This way way I can use any source/controller I like to play on any system. The whole thing runs on 12V as the 7" HD Monitor is 12V powered.

are you using a step up voltage converter to power your screen and av transmitter? if yes, did you buy it or build it yourself.

Great work again :)

Narik

Post by Narik » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks!
Actually the screen I used was rated for around 9-12v in, but works just fine with only 7.4v from the two 3.7v LiPo's in series. Same with the av receiver. I used a Texas Instruments PTH08080 voltage regulator with a 100uF capacitor and 2K resistor to step down to 3.3v for the trackball, controller, and audio amp.

lexxion83

Post by lexxion83 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks for the info.

Another question I have:

Is there anything special to charging the battery and playing at the same time? I mean any special circuit etc? How it is done?

Thanks

Narik

Post by Narik » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:16 am

Here are the links to some discussions here about charging circuits and charging while playing. I pretty much used these as my guide.
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... &view=next
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... ng#p446072

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Nice work again! I love how clean and professional your end results are. So nice to see that.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

lexxion83

Post by lexxion83 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 am

I just did a test with 5 AA batteries (7.5v) and they are able to power my 7" HD Monitor and 5.8Ghz av receiver :) Off to batteryspace.com to pick a battery :) .

Big thanks for the info :)

Narik

Post by Narik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks Tibia!
Fantastic news lexxion! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:36 am

wow! again, very nice!

i love how professional and neat your work is. keep it up! :D

and that's really odd about the gamecube. i hope you can get that figured out so that you can have a truly universal wgc! that would totally rule!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:13 am

That is really awesome, massive props man, massive props.
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Narik

Post by Narik » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks again for the nice comments!

Tighe
360 GamerTag:Tighe Lory

Post by Tighe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Man I love your choice of a Saturn pad! This is an awesome project!

Edit:

Seems Nintendo ripped you off with their WEEEUUUU!!

Narik

Post by Narik » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Tighe wrote:Man I love your choice of a Saturn pad! This is an awesome project!

Edit:

Seems Nintendo ripped you off with their WEEEUUUU!!
Thanks Tighe! Yeah the Saturn D-Pad was always the best for me.

Well Technically, Technott was the first to build a wireless gaming interface, so he deserves all the credit for that, and for giving me the motivation to come up with my project.