PSP Redux

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Narik
PSP Redux

Post by Narik » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Everyone!
First time poster here...

Over the years I have been a frequent lurker, watching from the shadows, all of the fantastic projects being put on display for all of our amazement and envy. This summer I finally found time to complete some projects I have long wanted to complete.

This first project I call my PSP Redux. I purchased this PSP 1000 aka "Fat", back in 2006.

After perusing the forums over the years, I decided to order a couple of different case models for my projects from Polycase.
I specifically decided on the AG-54 for the main body of this project. Found here http://www.polycase.com/ag-54

For the screen the original PSP lcd is used, but is housed within the plastic housing of an lcd I had purchased about a year ago. Found here http://www.priceangels.com/4.3-inch_LCD ... p8211.html

I just took out the original 4.3" lcd and replaced it with the PSP lcd and then added an FFC extension PCB and cable from DiyBeamer. Found here http://diy-beamer.com/product_info.php? ... b5ae83f711

I then soldered to the two points needed for the lcd backlight and ran those cables.

To attach it to the AG-54 housing, I took the laptop hinges from my old 90's era Windows 95 Toshiba Tecra laptop.

The "L" and "R" buttons are taken from an N64 controller. The two front gray buttons are also mapped to "L" and "R", so depending on the game being played, the player has the option to use the back triggers or the front buttons.

The D-Pad is taken from a sega saturn controller, the analog stick from a third party PS2 controller that was smaller than the standard PS2 size analogs, and of course the standard four PS2 buttons were from a PS2 dualshock. The two front gray buttons were from an old PC controller found at GoodWill.

Towards the bottom you can see two rectangle buttons and those are the select and start buttons. The last buttons are the Home button and the two black buttons on either side are the volume up and volume down buttons.
I left out the screen brightness button since I always left the screen on the brightest setting anyways, and the music symbol button I never used either, so that was also omitted.

You will also note that there is no visible pro-duo slot. I left it out since I integrated my 32gb card. Of course, this is also why the UMD drive was left out as well.

The power button is the black, momentary push button at the top of the unit next to the power/charge port. The usb port is also located there.

All controls were soldered directly to the motherboard connection pins or the right side button PCB. The battery is a standard PSP battery. I am contemplating a larger battery from BatterySpace, but that's a future upgrade. I already tested a 3.7v 5000mah LiPo battery I currently have from BatterySpace and it worked fine, but was slightly too large to fit insided the AG-54 case.

I don't have any pics of the work in progress, as there is so much fantastic information available on these threads that really became my guidebook for this whole project.
I may open it up at a later date to show the internals, but for now, here are the completed Pics!

You can view my full album here http://www.flickr.com/photos/nariks/set ... 853053889/

Gameplay Videos coming soon!! Edit: Game-play videos now uploaded! Available here. http://www.youtube.com/user/Narikzs#p/u/4/tX8qgSdStRA
Last edited by Narik on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
------------PSP Redux---------------Wireless Gaming Client----

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: PSP Redux

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm

very interesting concept! and executed in a most excellent fashion!

welcome to the forums! hope to see lots more stuff from you!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Pretty slick looking man! I bet that's much better to play on than those terrible PSP nubs. What kind of screen is that? Much trouble adapting it for use on the PSP?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Narik

Post by Narik » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks guys!
It's really comfortable to hold and play. You don't even want to know how many replacement PSP analogs I've had to install before now. In fact the latest one was broken before I began this project. Kind of a kick start so to speak.

The screen is still the original PSP lcd, I just used the housing from a generic 4.3" lcd I purchased from priceangels.com.
Last edited by Narik on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

neverused

Post by neverused » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:11 am

This is f#cking cool.

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Sweet.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Very clean work. It looks great. How does it feel to hang on to? Do you have room to put a larger capacity batter in there?
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Narik

Post by Narik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:00 pm

It's really comfortable to hold, and really light too. Also having the slightly larger control section keeps the center of gravity right in your hands. I currently have a spare 5000mah LiPo battery from battery space that I have tried with it and it works fine when wired to an original psp battery pcb, but it was literally like 1/4" too large to fit. So I might be able to get something like a 4200mah battery to fit.

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:34 am

That is sick man. Well done

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:12 am

Idea! You should make an av out port on it, so you can play it on the big screen.

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:06 am

I think it'd be nice if you made the Memory sticks exchangeable. Sometimes you want multiple cards for privacy or price. The spring loaded mechanism seems to fail in a lot of devices, so maybe some sort of slot that can me opened and closed easily without a spring? A small thumbscrew or something that snaps closed. Something that would accept full size and m2 cards would be nice, but I don't think either of those are really produced much and aren't cheaper than MSPDs.

While you have the thing apart anyway. Would it be possible to use mechanical switches instead of dome switches? If you like the feel, use non-tactile switches with rubber domes on top.

Could you mod the LCD to use LEDs?

Could you make the headphone jack compatible with the remote? Also, could you split the com port off into an RJ45 or D-Sub connector for easy modular connectors?

I wonder if it might be possible to compress the PSP Motherboard into a DS2 Controller shell. Then mount the hinges on the L/R raised part.

Would it be possible to hook up a switch so, if you close the lid it presses a button? Maybe Hold? And then people can use existing Plugins to use it to auto shut off their screen when it's closed.

Better speakers would be nice.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:10 am

Looks badass, the psp doesn't get enough real modding love like this, just silly led mods and the like.

The joystick mod reminds me of the many years ago when I put an entire joystick into a friends psp.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Narik

Post by Narik » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am

Thanks all for the nice comments!

You have some interesting ideas xnamkcor. Sounds like you have the makings for your very own mod soon!

Since this entire mod was for my personal use, all my considerations were for what I wanted or needed in my re-imagining of my old PSP. That's really what makes this hobby so great is our unique personal touches.

All thanks go to the modding and portabalizing community for inspiring me!