Pirate’s PS3 Water-Cooled Laptop/Portable Mod

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

PirateHax
Pirate’s PS3 Water-Cooled Laptop/Portable Mod

Post by PirateHax » Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Posted here ages ago about the first PS3 portable, only seems fitting to post about my second one :)

To quote:
Well after 3 years of working on it, I am finally ready to unveil my second PS3 portable which I am titling “Pirate’s PS3 Water-cooled Portable/Laptop”. As the name suggests this is a water-cooled PS3 in a portable form, fully equipped with its own reservoir, pump and radiator. This PS3 laptop is for sale, so pictures, videos, features and eBay link all the Read More button!

Features in this portable include:

Water cooled with easy accessible reservoir
HD: 720p/1080i screen (via HDMI)
4x USB
500 gb HDD
External PSU
Built in keyboard
Built in speakers with volume controls with 2.5mm headphone jack.
The stock PS3 was a 40gb SKU (there was no PS3 slim when I started the project).
Dimensions are 16.75”x13”x2.5” (16.75”x13”x3.5”with lid closed)
Weighs ~15lbs.

The case was all constructed from scratch. It features an aluminum base plate, and the rest of the material used was sintra/komatex. The case was routed via CNC machines with designs created in Adobe Illustrator.

The questions some of you may be asking why water-cool the PS3? The reason for water-cooling the system was to redesign the cooling to fit in a small case (which is significantly thinner than previous portable I made). Water-cooling the PS3 allowed me to get rid of the clunky heatsinks which was responsible for cooling stock PS3s. Only 4x40mm fans were used in cooling the entire system.

Another question I often get is why does a PS3 game/CD go backwards? That is because it was the only way to get the drive to fit inside the case without having to manually extend the PS3 bluray cable/ribbon.

I did not follow any tutorial when creating this, nor will I be providing one – it was done all for fun, and experimentation (why is why it took so long -.-). For those interested you can check out my work log of this project HERE. Also a shout out to the members at Overclock.net for helping me find many of the components, research and techniques I used to make this project possible. If you’re interested in tackling a project such as this feel free to ask on the forums and I will be more than glad to guide you in the right direction.

This PS3 Laptop/Portable is on sale at eBay, so if you’re interested, there’s a link below to the bidding. If you wish to buy it now, contact me through the forums (here) and we can talk from there :) . A percentage of the funds (minus costs) will proceed to relief efforts for the Joplin, Missouri tornado and rest will go to server/renovations to PS3Hax.net

Thanks for looking, let me know what you guys think :-) – Click to enlarge the pictures.
Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJA8dwWM ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eBay Auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0525842186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Release Thread:
http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/05/pirates-p ... table-mod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tchay

Re: Pirate’s PS3 Water-Cooled Laptop/Portable Mod

Post by Tchay » Sun May 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Looks great! I love the Plastation logos! And nice video too! You probably are aware, but the ebay link item has been removed.
Image Image

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Awesome!

JonathanMC

Post by JonathanMC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 am

I saw a video of his first one on YouTube, and in the description it said it was sold for $8000! :shock: That's crazy! Nice laptop by the way.