A better Dreamcast controller

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

0LDSK00LPUNX
A better Dreamcast controller

Post by 0LDSK00LPUNX » Tue May 24, 2011 1:36 am

I love my Dreamcast, but I HATE the controllers. They're huge and lacking in the ergonomics department, which got me to thinking.... What if all of the DC controller's guts were in a more comfortable shell? I'd play A LOT more often, that's what.

My idea is simple. Remove the DC controller's guts and place them in a more comfortable shell that still supports the VMU/rumble add ons.

Some research has proven that the N64 controller shell is an ideal housing for the Dreamcast controller's guts. It has everything the DC has: d-pad, analog stick, shoulder buttons, and plenty of face buttons... But the best part is... the DC pad's VMU slot is practically the same size as the N64 pad's controller pak slot! I know, I know, the DC has 2 ports so that both rumble and VMU can be plugged into the same controller, but I'm really only concerned with keeping one port with this mod.

I've been wanting to see this happen for some time now, but it's far too technical for me to accomplish. Hopefully somebody with the skills here can do it. What do you say guys? Any takers?

Reubensupernerd

Re: A better Dreamcast controller

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:11 pm

I honestly never thought of this. I never found the dreamcast controller to be particularly uncomfortable, but my time playing one has been rather limited. I may attempt this project simply because its so different from anything else I've seen/done. A question: would the buttons and the control stick of the N64 be swapped with that of the dreamcast? (I ask this because not swapping the control stick would require a PIC or AVR microcontroller, two things I've never worked with)

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm

if youre gonna do it, you might as well put it in something thats actually BETTER than the DC controller, rather than the N64 controller shell. Id personally put one in a 360 shell.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:48 pm

HAHAHAH I guess you don't like the weird-ass trident shape? I always found it funny how most people loathe the N64 controller. Personally I never found the n64 controller to be uncomfortable, and after reading the side art on the controller box I kind of see what Nintendo was attempting to do (support dpad gaming while accommodating 3d gaming with an analog stick).

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 pm

i know EXACTLY what they were trying to do, and exactly why they did it. it was a compromise. they didnt think anyone would go for the whole "analog" thing, so they built the controller as a digital pad first and foremost, and just kinda stuck on the analog stick on as an afterthought.

i mean come on, its actually ergonomic if you hold it as a digital pad...but a total clusterf*ck in your hands if you hold it by the analog wang.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 pm

lol you have a point