Completed First Project - Game Boy Pocket

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Wester
Completed First Project - Game Boy Pocket

Post by Wester » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and just completed my first mod. So, I figured what better time than now to make my first post. Here's, my "Heartless" Game Boy Pocket. Other than the paint job, I followed Bibin's guide for backlighting and used a kit from nonfinite. Also, I installed a switch on the bottom to turn the backlight on and off. I'm still working out a few kinks with the backlight as I feel it's not as bright as it should be and is a bit flickery. The flicker is brought upon when ever i press a button or there is a peak in volume so there's definitely something screwy going on.
-Wester

Bush

Re: Completed First Project - Game Boy Pocket

Post by Bush » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Looks great! You may want to use a different spot for power on the backlight, sounds like the point you used is getting drawn by other things.

Wester

Post by Wester » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks man. Do you have any recommendations for spot to connect for power? I connected to the pin all the way at the bottom right, the second one up from the bottom like in Bibin's guide. I suppose any point powered with 3V would work fine but this seemed really convenient since I had my switch down there anyway.
-Wester

Bush

Post by Bush » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Hmm... I'm not really sure. Try following the battery line past all the major components, and tap into it. I think going directly from the battery might steal power from the other components, but try that first. You are using a resistor, right?

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Use the resistor that came with the kit. Put it on the voltage line.

Wester

Post by Wester » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Yeah, I've got a 100ohm resistor on the hot leg of the backlight power. I'm gonna open it back up tomorrow and check all my soldering.
-Wester

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I took my power from the pin near the bottom right labelled "5" and used a 12k resistor and a 10k resistor in parallel to make a 5.45k resistor. It looks great. I used a DS Lite backlight, so the resistance you need may differ.
Finally: the surface!