Mini 16 bit HD multi emulator console (Retrode conversion)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Matthias_H
Mini 16 bit HD multi emulator console (Retrode conversion)

Post by Matthias_H » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Dear all,

I'm currently working on the Retrode2, an updated and extended version of my multi USB adapter for retro game carts. The new edition will feature a SNES and a Genesis slot, as well as a pair of game controller ports for each. (See video)

Now I was wondering if it could be possible to fit an entire emulation system into the case, making it a candidate for the best-performing, smallest, cart-based multi retro console ever. The TI OMAP3530, for instance, should have plenty of power for, say, hq2x/hq3x-upscaled emulation of SNES and Genesis, and many emulators have already been ported to the system (see e.g. the Pandora apps). The free space inside the enclosure will easily accommodate a Gumstix board and some additional hardware (though I'll have to take exact measurements). A bigger challenge I see is in attaching an HDMI connector, but with a bit of case dremeling it might even be possible to fit an entire Summit daughterboard in.

What do you think?

Anyway, if someone wants to give it a try, PM me and I'll see how I can be of (moral and/or material) help. The Retrode2 will probably become available around June or July so it's going to have to be all theory until then ;)

Best regards,
Matthias

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Re: Mini 16 bit HD multi emulator console (Retrode conversion)

Post by Snow_Cat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 pm

:o The Retrode2 looks amazing.

I'm going to have to add the controller input feature to mine, I don't know how I didn't think of doing that. :)

It is technically possible to do exactly what you are suggesting, There are many HDMI 'pigtails' availble that could make port relocation st[unning]ly easy. But I don't know if a OMAP based multi-console emulator-of-unrestricted-awesome would be commercially viable without building a custom PCB.

JonathanMC

Re: Mini 16 bit HD multi emulator console (Retrode conversion)

Post by JonathanMC » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Yeah, i am very interested in getting the new model sometime. It looks awesome. Good work!