Portable Gaming PC (PGPC) - pics & video

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Kyosho
Portablizer
Portable Gaming PC (PGPC) - pics & video

Post by Kyosho » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:00 am

Youtube link

Had difficulty coming up with a name that describes this thing...

8 inch touchscreen LCD

Integrated Xbox 360 controller with Playstation D-pad, and face buttons for shoulder buttons (triggers are now buttons)

The case is made from two OKW enclosures glued back to back, heavily modified of course. You can see where I screwed up the paint job. Maybe some day I'll fix it.

Mini ITX Socket P motherboard - for laptop CPUs
Intel T7300 Core 2 Duo 2GHz 4mb L2 cache
4GB of DDR3
Geforce 9100m 512mb shared
500GB hard drive

Half-built-in wifi - USB dongle inside, motherboard has mini PCI-Express slot but haven't gotten a card for it yet. Not that I have to. It's under the righthand control panel and I can take it out very easily. Motherboard also has HDMI out, so this thing will occasionally run double-duty as an HTPC in my house.

No internal batteries. I know. I know. Believe me I know. It's kills me, but it's just too heavy. I designed it with batteries in mind. I have the power switch for it, the charging jack, the battery life indicator - ALL integrated already. But I decided against putting the batteries in. Right now, it's already heavy. If I were to add the batteries, it'd be unplayably heavy. I'm going to have to make them into an external pack. As much as it saddens me.

I wanted a motherboard that was very upgradeable, which this one is. I can put a much better CPU in there in the future and maybe bump it up to 8GB if I get Windows 7. I also wanted a motherboard that had a PCI-Express slot. The idea was, when you're at home, you plug in your awesome desktop card and you've got a really decent gaming PC that can run just about anything. I have the riser card and "cartridge slot" cover, but not bothering putting them in until I can afford a better power brick that can handle the amperage.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8141/dscn3435.jpg
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2526/dscn3436.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9720/dscn3437.jpg

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Portable Gaming PC (PGPC) - pics & video

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 am

Really interesting. What do you usually play on it?

AdumUp
360 GamerTag:AdumUp
Steam ID:AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

:shock: Whoa! :mrgreen: Pretty awesome sir!

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

^ · · ^ Woah. Impressive.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:47 am

eagle5953 wrote:Really interesting. What do you usually play on it?
Even though I built it primarily for PC games, I've actually spent most of my time so far on it playing N64 stuff. That and just general internet browsing and whatnot. I had been planning to play through Dragon Age again before I play the sequel, and I'll probably play it on that thing. I also brought my Oblivion save over to it and will likely play through Shivering Isles on it.