PS360 Controller Variation

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

nitzbitz1
PS360 Controller Variation

Post by nitzbitz1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:55 am

I am thinking of attempting to build a controller that has both ps3 and 360 circuits inside a 360 controller shell. If i carve out enough of the support plastic in the 360 shell i dont think space should be a problem, but before i start undertaking the project i thought it would be a good idea to check with somebody who has worked a lot with both of the controllers to make sure the concept is possible.

Before i say anything else, i am in my junior year for electrical engineering and understand how complicated this would get. I also understand how much money could sink into the project since any failure would cost another $120 for new controllers. So you don't need to try to talk me out of it for those reasons.

Anyway, the basics of my idea would be using 360 joysticks, shoulders, buttons, d_pad, and triggers, with the power for both of them coming from the ps3 batter pack (assuming the power needed for both controllers is the same, otherwise keep the batter pack of the 360 and slide the ps3 battery somewhere inside) so basically the layout of the PS360 controller you have already made. In addition to that just stack the 360 circuit board under the ps3 one inside the shell, with wires connecting from all those parts to both circuit boards. then add an on-off-on switch (or two push buttons possibly) for the dome button of each board. The switch or buttons might not look pretty but should be the simplest way to handle both boards in one housing, and they might obstruct the led's for the light ring, but if i had a beast of a controller like this i really wouldn't care much if the lights didn't show properly.

It might not be possible, but if you think it might be, or have any ideas of how to make it possible, let me know. It would be pretty sick to be able to use the same controller for both systems, so hopefully something can be figured out.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Re: PS360 Controller Variation

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:50 am

PS3 pack should work for both, IIRC. Other than that, it may be possible but will take a LOT of precision cutting. Good luck.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:12 am

Basement_Modder wrote:it may be possible but will take a LOT of precision cutting. Good luck.
This. However, you're more likely to be able to pull this off since you chose the 360 controller shell (it's notably bigger than the PS3 controller). It would be a rather cool project if you did indeed get it to work.

Another option if you needed more room would be the original Xbox controller. Here's a random Google image for a size comparison to the 360 controller:
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

nitzbitz1

Post by nitzbitz1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:46 pm

In case anyone was watching this for an update:

First try got pretty far, integrating the two controllers together and keeping them as tightly packed as possible has gone surprisingly well.

Still trying to figure out how to fit it all into the 360 case but getting closer. The most likely answer will be adding about 3mm spacer between the two pieces of the shell, that should give enough room to fit my PCB combination that I've made.

I've been busy so its going slow, and the first try ended when the brick with all of the pins for the PS3 buttons snapped off taking with it the entirety of all the pads and all hope of using that board. Pretty much just starting over, instead of trying to take the boards apart again.

But overall..... it is going surprisingly well and I am confident I will be able to pull it off. Hopefully by the end of the summer.

I am mostly keeping the designs to myself for now, but documenting everything and plan to share the process either once i am able to pull it off, or give up and want to pass the torch to the internet world.

neverused

Post by neverused » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:18 pm

idk if this has been an issue for you yet, but many of the newer DS3 models don't use traditional analog sticks like the 360s, where eac pot has 3 pins, rather the new DS3s have four for some reason. I also, the DS3 buttons are analog, idk if the 360s are.

nitzbitz1

Post by nitzbitz1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:29 pm

ehhhhh my first try was using the original sixaxis (not dualshock) PS3 controller so now im nervous to open up a DS3 and find four pin pots..... my original plan was to just not include rumble function because i didnt have the proper PS3 controller at the time but was planning to integrate it in on my second try since i need a new controller anyway..... i guess worst case is i use an older PS3 controller for the project.

the buttons however all work together fine... but i have to use wire glue on the 360 board (there arent any solder points) so thats kind of frustrating me.... wire glue is rough to use when you need pinpoint accuracy.....

also im still trying to figure out the best way to add the space between the two halves of the shell and still be able to take it apart easily.... if anyone has any better suggestions than squirting hot glue all over the place itd be appreciated.... other idea would be adding a foam rubber pad insert that i can easily cut.

nitzbitz1

Post by nitzbitz1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:38 pm

just opened the next controller i was planning on using..... and you were right about the 4 pins. i guess this means i'll be searching for an older controller before i can start again. damn.