GBC with 5" PSOne screen ?

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Live_Steam_Mad
Re: GBC with 5" PSOne screen ?

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:51 am

Bush wrote:Holy shi**. Thats a lot of words. My suggestion, is to use a GBA. They are cheap. The super gameboy also puts the game in a letter box, so a GBA would be ideal. The thing is, when you stretch the screen on a GBA, it is going from 4:3 to 16:9. But the Psone screen is 4:3. This means you will have a very thin box lengthwise, giving a smushed picture. If you then stretch it, it should fit the screen, giving a 4:3 ratio. If you don't understand what I'm saying I can make some mockups.
I already do use the GBA SP model 101 to view my GBC games (I already said that above), but as I said the screen display doing it this way has a very small size compared to what I would really like.

Yes I just before you mentioned it did some research and only just found out that the Super GameBoy outputs only a small square inside it's screen when in GB mode, with large borders all round (as shown by VirtualBoy Advance screen shots below). So that's also not going to be suitable.

EDIT: Darn it I can't attach pic's, says the board quota has been reached? Anyway just run VBA and a GB game and select SGB mode and border on and see what I mean!

Yes I know what you mean about the ratios and things, I already described that effect in detail above complete with measurements in inches etc.

With respect, the GBA does not stretch the 4:3 GBC screen to 16:9, your ratios are wrong, read what I said above, the GBC is 1.1:1 aspect, the GBA is 3:2. So GBA stretches GBC screen output from 1.1:1 to 3:2 when you press the shoulder button on the GBA.

So I'm still looking for a way of getting a GBA to output to a PSOne screen WHILST filling (or nearly so) the screen with the GBC game, OR by getting a GBC itself to output somehow to a PSOne screen via a card / TVout or whatever.

I now understand how Bacteria's BigBoy Advance's output is being mapped onto the PSOne screen, his GBA is outputting via a GBA "transverter" card and it adds black borders top and bottom to the TV / RGB output, giving a 3:2 aspect display window in a 4:3 screen output, which is fed to the LCD, so if I use GBC mode (when not pressing shoulder button) then the output would be a small square inside the PSOne screen. It's this that I need to alter somehow. I have a feeling though that if there is such a user-alteration possible, where I can press the shoulder button on the GBA to get full screen width on GBC game, and turn a pot on the PCB of the PSOne or GBA transverter or something to scale the "GBC output" to full screen height, then I might get gaps between scan lines if it's being scaled using analog circuitry, and that's even if it's possible to do such a thing with the PSOne or the transverter (I'll have to look deeper into this LOL).

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Bush

Post by Bush » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:05 pm

Well, I was using those rations because they were at least similar to what the modes are. I know they arent the true ratios. What I'm saying is, if you use a gba: Image

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:17 pm

Just found a good video to show how the SGB works and how small the display would be because of the borders ;-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mROlPQ8-oVs

...see about 1/2 way through the video.

Cheers,

ARG

Bush

Post by Bush » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 pm

So, once again, use a GBA. It makes no sense to use a snes.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Bush wrote:Well, I was using those rations because they were at least similar to what the modes are. I know they arent the true ratios. What I'm saying is, if you use a gba:
Nope. In your diagram above, the bottom left picture is wrong. The picture would NOT be squished (anamorphically squeezed horizontally), the picture instead would be a square, of the correct 1.1:1 aspect ratio for GBC.

BUT there is already a border top and bottom to the screen, take a look at ;-

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=19038

...and this would (in GBC mode) introduce a further border left and right, but the aspect ratio WOULD BE CORRECT FOR GBC.

BTW PSOne screen if 4:3 aspect and 5" diagonal as I am assuming, must mean that it's 4" wide, 3" high, since it's a 3,4,5 triangle (basic trig.).

So I would have a screen display of (4" / ((3/2 GBA aspect ratio) / (1.1/1 GBC aspect ratio))) = 2.96" (75.3mm) wide by (3" / (4/3 PSOne aspect ratio) / (3/2 GBA aspect ratio))) = 2.67" high, a diagonal of SQRT(2.96^2 + 2.67^2) = 3.99" i.e. 4" diagonal used of the PSOne screen.

I could put black material or casing over the borders. 4" diagonal would mean an improvement over the original GBC 2.32" diagonal screen of 172 per cent in diagonal terms, which is almost a 300 per cent (295 actually) improvement in screen area.

3x bigger screen for GBC using this Bacteria BigBoy Advance mod. for GBC games.

Well looks like that's as good as I am going to get, and I am quite willing to give it a go. Right, time to try and duplicate what he did LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.
Last edited by Live_Steam_Mad on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Bush wrote:So, once again, use a GBA. It makes no sense to use a snes.
I agree good point. Just wanted to explore my options.

Cheers,

ARG

Bush

Post by Bush » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:50 pm

No, I am correct, unless the tranverter thing compensates for the aspect ratio change. If it was raw output, I would be correct.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Bush wrote:No, I am correct, unless the tranverter thing compensates for the aspect ratio change. If it was raw output, I would be correct.
With respect, have a look at the video here of Bacteria's BigBoy Advance in action playing GBC games that I just found, take a look at 3m54s in ;-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yI_nk09Fc

Nothing is squished. I'll just have to make a unit specifically for playing GBC games on and cover up the black parts with casing.

The good news is the compatibility is perfect playing GBC games on GBA, as far as my experience goes, I know since I use my GBC Zelda DX (actually on a Netmars E-Merger GB/GBP/GBC 16Mb Flash cart) on my GBA SP model 101 and it works perfectly, I can cheat using my Action Replay Pokemon Crystal Edition, and was able to complete both Zelda Links Awakening DX and also Zelda Oracle of Ages using that cheat cart and flash cart together simultaneously in my GBA SP 101.

Now I just have to build it! However at the moment I am still playing Zelda 1 which I just started playing on my GBA SP 101 whilst emulating Zelda 1 for NES with PocketNES on my NDS / GBA / Firelinker 128Mb Flash cart (which works perfect for saves games and saved states but screen looks like crap scaled and unscaled means it autoscrolls but that's OK), so I will be next wanting to first build myself a NES portable. I already just ordered Ben's book from Amazon UK to have a go at this LOL.

Cheers,

Alistair G.
Last edited by Live_Steam_Mad on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bush

Post by Bush » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm

The transverter must output 4:3 then

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 pm

Had a good look around on the web and it seems that the Transverter is all but impossible to get (unless someone wants to sell me one LOL) so I found this mod. where a guy has used a PSOne screen connected to GBA via an RGB connection,(BUT NOT with the Transverter only RGB modded TV card I think) so this may be my 2nd back up plan (need to examine and read thoroughly and if there are any problems that I find I'll report back ;-

http://www.konlabs.com/articles_data/mi ... /index.htm

Cheers,

Alistair G.
Last edited by Live_Steam_Mad on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:06 pm

The aspect ratio is wrong on that Konlab mod. Oh well. Also GBA output is not using full width so GBC will be a smaller size again...

Found this though on the same site, good info. in it it seems ;-

http://www.konlabs.com/articles_data/gb ... /index.htm

Cheers,

ARG

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:24 pm

What is wierd is that on his Transverter picture #7, the whole of the screen is filled, yet with Bacteria's mod, the GBA display output is a 3:2 letterbox out of the 4:3 screen. Can someone tell me why?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:34 pm

OK it seems I have an answer, there are 2 modes on the Transverter board, Full screen or Wide screen, I think that Bacteria has it set to widescreen?

ARG

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Also now I know what happened to the Transverter... there was a lawsuit against them by the makers of the GBA TV card due to alleged copyright infringement so it was pulled and you can't buy them new because of this and that's why there are so few around.

So looks like I have to find a GBA TV card that can be hacked for RGB output and allows 3:2 output in a letterbox on a 4:3 screen like the Transverter does... help!

ARG