techknott's - PS3 WVI (NEW youtube vid with SOUND)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Livin in a box
PSN Username:Livin_in_a_box
Re: techknott's - PS3 WVI (youtube video and pics included)

Post by Livin in a box » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:23 pm

I would really like to be able to buy one myself- I wouldn't be able to make one...It would come in really useful for me personally which is why I'm really interested in it.

And techknott- you in the UK? If you are that's even better, because so am I!

perfectmf

Post by perfectmf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Congrats on a job well done! Looks very well put together like all your work does.

Engadget and Joystiq are owned by the same people but you made Joystiq also. Bastards criticized your Pit time.
Last edited by perfectmf on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Livin in a box
PSN Username:Livin_in_a_box

Post by Livin in a box » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:17 pm

perfectmf wrote:Congrats on a job well done! Looks very well put together like all your work does.

Engadget and Joystiq are owned by the same people but you made Joystiq also. Bastards criticized your Pit time.
Haha, lol.

No reason why he shouldn't, I'm going to make an article about it on my own site.

EDIT: If anyone's interested, here's the article I wrote.
Well, a very clever and crafty modder, after creating an Xbox 360 WVI (Wireless Video Interface) that you can see here has made another one, this time for the PlayStation 3.

If you don't know what it does, then let me fill you in- it transmits AV signals to and from your PS3 and displays it on screen as is shown in the picture and your PS3 operates normally. It's just like Remote Play for PSP, you might say, except this is more advanced and you can do everything you need.

It's ideal for those of you who can't use your TV for whatever reason (someone hogging it again or what?) and while it might not look the greatest of things in the entire world, it has taken some skill, you have to admit. Here are the full specs, taken from here (more info there too):
"4500maH Li-ion battery's and recharge circuit with built in
LED capacity meter.

5" widescreen LCD

AV in port, headphones, usb mini and charge

1.2ghz wireless AV receiver and (obviously) ps3 remote."

He says that he'll be selling when he fixes the sound that broke, and I'm going to try and snap one up for myself. :p
Hyperlinks have been trimmed...

pali808

Post by pali808 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 am

Cheers and Aloha techknott, great work! Definitely interested in future units (or that one even).. :)

limpport

Post by limpport » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:59 am

You'll be very lucky to get a 7" widescreen anywhere near $40. $60 minimum is more realistic.

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 pm

That is impressive. I would love to see a tutorial eventually and I would even be inclined to pay for a basic kit. Job well done.

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 pm

I think a full kit would be tough, he would have to stock all of the supplies needed as prices would fluctuate on the individual parts. The problem with a kit is there is a lot of variance in what people may want, some people may want to adjust the controller layout, others may want it for Xbox 360, others may want a bigger screen, etc, etc.
I know I would want a 360 one, and I would want the buttons adjusted to fit my hands specifically. I would also want a layout exactly like a 360 controller, with the left analog stick higher than the d-pad, and the right analog stick lower than the buttons, etc.

I think some simple diagrams detailing the battery circuitry, showing how to step up the voltage for the wireless video and then back down for the controller and some pictures of the internals would be a great way to get people started. Making a case and layout is really for each individual. However, I know if he wants to make and sell them, there will always be people that want to buy a pre-made one instead of building one. He could always go into the custom business, customing each one to the individual who pre-pays...

On a side note, could you use one of these as a display http://www.lightinthebox.com/7-inch-Dig ... 15296.html
It says in the description is has AV in/out...$40 7" TFT LCD...

J.D

Post by J.D » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:34 am

Holy crap, I saw this on KOTAKU before I saw or even heard about it here. Great job.

limpport

Post by limpport » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:51 pm

da_jon wrote: On a side note, could you use one of these as a display http://www.lightinthebox.com/7-inch-Dig ... 15296.html
It says in the description is has AV in/out...$40 7" TFT LCD...
The only thing the discription says is video out. Digital picture frames do not have video in. There is no (easy) way to get video in through the hardware on a digital frame. That is the only reason they are not used for portables.

EDIT: Hur derp. Found it. I still really doubt that it has video in, unfortunately.

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by techknott » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:32 am

I have a picture frame with AV in, you can get them, they're not very common though.

crimsonnight

Post by crimsonnight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:54 am

awesome work techknott - i live in the uk as well, and would definitely be up for paying a decent amount for one of these - if you're interested in selling me one could you please contact me (crimson_night@hotmail.co.uk)? would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:

da_jon

Post by da_jon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:13 am

I actually had a helluva time finding that one that said video in. But if it does have it, $40 for a 7 inch screen...

JariV

Post by JariV » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Looks very nice, congratulations! And are you going to sell these? :P
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Hmmmmm, is that lcd hd, or just normal 640 X 480?

And a tutorial would be GODLIKE. I could do with one of these, be pretty nice to have.

What did you use to transmit the video wirelessly?

collinE

Post by collinE » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:27 pm

probably another baby monitor
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous