The Afternoon projects thread.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Basement_Modder
Portablizer
Re: The Afternoon projects thread.

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 pm

hellfire wrote:
Basement_Modder wrote:A KIT? Its 2 LEDs. Why would they have kits for that?
to make it real easy i guess.. it comes with both led's on their little boards, both plastic pieces, wires and connector.. and it came with a mini screwdriver and triwing. all i had to do was open the front up, pull the old stuff out, then put the new in.. the only thing that really sucked was the extra wire that was on it.. had to stuff it all in there...took maybe 20 minutes to do.
have u ever replaced the leds on a wii? those things are tiny. i dont see how anyone could have steady enough hands to do it. kudos to anyone who can though.
not bad for $5.50 shipped.
lol. I can RCP wire an N64. Those pins are less than .5mm apart. Those LEDs are NOTHING.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

MrAfterFx
Portablizer
Steam ID:MrAfterFx

Post by MrAfterFx » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:54 pm

I did this quite some time ago but I made a MBB ps2 (just a paint job and custom decal). It only took me 2 hours with the primer, paint, clear over lay and making of the decal.I hope I don't get banned for mentioning MBB because I see links to ModRetro here all of the time. Anyway this was my second console paint job and I liked the way it turned out. Here are a few pics:

hellfire

Post by hellfire » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:04 pm

i dig it.. looks nice
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 pm

I hope I don't get banned for mentioning MBB
We don't do that kind of thing here :) we welcome anybody from any community unless they are going to be a negative influence or disruptive to people on our forum. We don't discriminate based on who people associate with, and everybody is entitled to speak freely here one way or the other, as long as it doesn't violate the rules or cause problems :lol:

and on topic, the PS2 looks nice! the only real afternoon project i've done is set up my workbench, an old watchmakers desk.
ive got my PC set up with my 20" NEC monitor and also working as a home theater PC for our living room, the desk is right next to our TV :lol: and i HIGHLY reccomend getting a lamp like that one, i think they are called a floating lamp, dazor or drafting table lamp. i think they even beat a good quality luxo/luxo jr style lamp! you can find them on ebay for 60-80$ (we paid 50$ for the whole desk at a local auction :mrgreen: )

MrAfterFx
Portablizer
Steam ID:MrAfterFx

Post by MrAfterFx » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Triton wrote:
I hope I don't get banned for mentioning MBB
We don't do that kind of thing here :) we welcome anybody from any community unless they are going to be a negative influence or disruptive to people on our forum. We don't discriminate based on who people associate with, and everybody is entitled to speak freely here one way or the other, as long as it doesn't violate the rules or cause problems :lol:
Cool now I feel better because that is what the mod was based off of. My brother saw that ps2 and bought it for 35$ and I was fine with it because I had a portable ps2 to mess with at the time. I will upload some of my projects here because they are simple and fun to do, a simple paint job always makes an older console more pleasable to look at (and show off). Thank you for your input Image.

*Edit : Atleast you have a workbench because my parents want their table back! It looks nice, the two gameboys make it look cooler :).

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I broke into an abandoned car, took the insurance info, used it to look up a phone number, put the card back, and called the guy/ offered to buy the title for $50. He accepted. YES!
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:I broke into an abandoned car, took the insurance info, used it to look up a phone number, put the card back, and called the guy/ offered to buy the title for $50. He accepted. YES!
lolwut? What kind of car?

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:02 pm

vskid wrote:
Basement_Modder wrote:I broke into an abandoned car, took the insurance info, used it to look up a phone number, put the card back, and called the guy/ offered to buy the title for $50. He accepted. YES!
'95 Sable

thread here
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:
vskid wrote:
'95 Sable

thread here
your link doesnt work. if it has more than a few hundred dollars worth of work wrong with it scrap it, you should be able to get 150-200$ for it as scrap :lol:

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:50 am

haha nice work :)

today i hardwired/internalised my psone mem card
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

iHackedit

The Afternoon projects thread.

Post by iHackedit » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:27 am

I have ps1 and 2 memory cards if you need em :D

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Rebuilt the battery pack for my cordless by stabbing it apart, ripping off the tabs, wire wrapping the terminals, forming new contacts, stuffing blue foam (electrostatic, should replace later) and AAA's into it, then wrapping it together with a bit of tape. I'm hoping this lasts longer than three months. :P

I bought this pack from DealExtreme.com; but after a while it stopped holding a charge overnight, and would be dead by morning if not left on the cradle.
I could have bought a different pack from DealExtreme.com had I realised that the P in P-104 meant Panasonic battery pack style 104. But meh.

Image Image
(compromise: thumb nails in post, images are links to full size - total image size in post < 80kB)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Upgraded the CPU in my ASUS G60VX laptop today. It came with a C2D P7450, 2.13GHz, 3MB L2. I bought a Dell Latitude E6400 and swapped with its C2D T9600, 2.8GHz, 6MB L2. Took my Windows Experience Score for the CPU from 5.7 to 6.4 (6.5 when I use my laptop's turbo mode to get it to 3GHz). Dell laptop still lives on with the slower CPU.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:20 am

Since it's nice out I decided to take all the junk PCBs I've been hoarding and desolder the parts with a hot air gun. It's crude but quick and effective. I just wish the hot air gun was bigger; the nozzle on our old one is only 1/2" so it takes a bit of time to get larger parts warm enough to drop off.

Parts harvested so far: a few EEPROMs, an EPROM, some microcontrollers, Analog Devices D/A converters, assorted surface mount components, assorted through-hole discrete components, and a couple dozen DIP sockets (only a couple of which I've completely ruined Image).
Total brain cells lost: both of them

One thing I found was this Atmel chip. I think it's a fun-to-play-with AtMega64 (more specifically an AtMega64L), but I'm not 100% sure if there's anything that can actually be done with it. Any of you guys have some insight? There are quite a few of these but they're kind of tedious to remove.

Here's a picture of one with a dime for scale and part number reference. (For those not in the US, the dime is about 18mm in diameter.)

I'll post a couple more artsy-fartsy pictures of the harvest later; I've still got quite a few boards to do.

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:27 am

^ - -^ meow, nice.
^- - ^ I'll have to remember to buy a hot air gun later, now that my hot solder-pump is beyond repair.