The Afternoon projects thread.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361
Re: The Afternoon projects thread.

Post by Tibia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Just moved to a new apartment in an old house. It's got very few outlets, and I can only split them so much before I start tripping breakers. Since that involves dealing with the other tenant to fix, I decided to make all my game consoles use the same AC cord so I only had to run one cord to the entertainment center. Since the PS1Phat, the PS2Phat, Saturn, Dreamcast, and the PS2Slim AC adapter all plug into the same type of cord, I'm using that one.

Today, I did the N64 brick and the GC brick to take the cord.
Image Image Image
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:21 pm

I copied my Sonic CD as an ISO, downloaded the Japanese soundtrack and converted it to WAV, used a Sega .CUE program and burned it all to a CD-R. Now I can play the US Sonic CD with that sweet Japanese soundtrack. The odd thing is the opening animation still uses "Sonic Boom"...
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:03 pm

weaponepsilon wrote:I copied my Sonic CD as an ISO, downloaded the Japanese soundtrack and converted it to WAV, used a Sega .CUE program and burned it all to a CD-R. Now I can play the US Sonic CD with that sweet Japanese soundtrack. The odd thing is the opening animation still uses "Sonic Boom"...
Wow, nice. Didn't know that was possible.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Yeah, actually any of those old games with uncompressed audio can be re worked. You have to have your audio in .wav format and use a .cue generator. Somebody mentioned doing something like it on Racketboy so I got to thinking about fixing Sonic. I made a few coasters in the process but now that I understand how, its pie.....
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Hah, neat. Can this be done with other things besides audio? Such as graphics, etc.?

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 pm

AS far as I know, "No." would be the best answer. I bet if you were really willing to decompile the game data then yes, you could.
Trade thread!

harvey263

Post by harvey263 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:48 pm

I repaired the Magsafe power adapter for a Macbook one afternoon. There's a lot of youtube videos with different fixes for these things, but I didn’t see any quite like what I tried. Mine had a bad pin spring on the connector – power was spotty and it no longer charged the battery. I decided to put the pin in position then just solder it steady. It feels a little stiff when you plug it in, but it works perfect now.
The hot glue and straps on the outside don’t look the greatest, but it’ll be easy to open back up if another spring happens to fail. It also makes a nice grip to safely unplug from the jack.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:25 am

harvey263 wrote:I repaired the Magsafe power adapter for a Macbook one afternoon. There's a lot of youtube videos with different fixes for these things, but I didn’t see any quite like what I tried. Mine had a bad pin spring on the connector – power was spotty and it no longer charged the battery. I decided to put the pin in position then just solder it steady. It feels a little stiff when you plug it in, but it works perfect now.
The hot glue and straps on the outside don’t look the greatest, but it’ll be easy to open back up if another spring happens to fail. It also makes a nice grip to safely unplug from the jack.
you do know apple is replacing those for free due to fire hazard, right?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 pm

4 strand round braid, did it in ~ 2 hours (after spending 15 minutes learning how to braid 4 strands lol) its the inner wire from ethernet cable

option8

USB thumb drive in a 3.5'' floppy

Post by option8 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Another afternoon/weekend project. I decided that I would put a promotional USB drive I received at a tradeshow to good use. The drive itself was stuffed into something the size of a stack of business cards, and my thought was to try and cram those same innards into a floppy disk.

the original is on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/charles_ma ... 250155063/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(uses two floppies glued together, since the flash drive was too thick)

I've posted video howto for anyone who wants to try this project themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojNYill9oBM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(improved version that uses one floppy)

share and enjoy!

harvey263

Post by harvey263 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 am

dragonhead wrote: you do know apple is replacing those for free due to fire hazard, right?
Yeah, I read where some people had luck getting a free replacement, others not. Mine is a third-party adapter so it wouldn't apply anyway.

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Found a 41" projection TV being thrown out. The first thing I noticed was that the power cord was cut off. I took it home and replaced the power cord. Now it works!

Not really sure what to do with it though. I'd rather keep using my 27" HD flat screen than a low def 41" projection TV from 1997. I thought about using it for a big "house of the dead" or "cruis'n world" cabinet, but I've only used the other arcade cabinet I built a couple times and I'm sure the same would end up happening if I built another cabinet. It will probably end up on someone's doorstep as a prank :lol:.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:39 am

So the hardest most annoying part of doing a Nomad Screen Mod is centering the new screen just right in the unit. The display on the eBay 3.5" screens are slightly bigger than the nomad stock screen so getting it centered is a bit of a hassle (plus the LCD "hole" on the nomad is slightly slanted). I found some packaging foam from somewhere and decided to make a guide template.

Using this crappy unit I have for the experiment, I cut the foam out to the exact size of the inside of the case, cut out the button and dpad holes so it would sit flush, traced the screen hole from the outside (easier since this unit is missing the screen protector), and then lastly centered the new screen with the guide in place and then traced and cut out the outline of the 3.5" display lens.

Daisy chaining some nomads together so I could run proper video while I was testing the placement of the display screen in the case.

Just the right size for the new display.

Cut out some spots for the corners of the screen for when I hotglue it in. Just did two corners for the glue to keep the screen in place, and then I'll take out the guide to keep stress-use slightly down when I glue in the other 2 corners.

...and here it is finished inside the nomad case ready for use.

I'll have to see how it holds up after multiple uses, so I may eventually remake it out of posterboard or some other material, but it'll do for now. Here are some shots on some other games so you can see the even-ness of the placement.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

NVM
Trade thread!

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 pm

I made wallets out of a membrane keyboard.

I saw this done by someone online a while ago, but they were mostly packing tape wallets with membrane keyboard inside. Mine are made only by folding.

As you can see, I have two to sell, so if you're interested in one, shoot me an offer or something through a pm. Shipping will be in an envelope, so don't worry about that in your offer.