The Afternoon projects thread.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

snowpenguin
Re: The Afternoon projects thread.

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:35 pm

stuntpenguin007 wrote:I made a solder fume intake fan like snowpenguin's. I'm really impressed. I can't even smell them anymore, and It's pretty cool how the smoke goes rushing away from you.

It's made up of a 12v power brick, a gamecube power switch and an xbox fan.

@snowpenguin - the smoke seems to go up to the handle of the soldering iron before going off through the fan. Have you noticed this? Maybe it's just where I'm positioning the fan.
Thanks for the idea. This should save a few headaches.

To... The... Handle? Mine goes straight to wherever the fan is, but I usually forget to turn it on, then I remember, then I'm too lazy, so it's usually off.

I'm thinking of grounding it as well for working on static unfriendly systems.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Here's my weekend projekt...well, more like a short afternoon projekt..but a projekt none-the-less! :)

My quick project: Fixed one of my woofers!

The 25+ year old surround on one of my Mach 2s finally blew off the woofer, so I put new surround on it. Took a while, and a lot of slashing and sanding and magical chemicals to remove all of what remained of the old surround and glue that held it on.

Got it hooked up, and the speaker sounds like new again yay! :D
It was a bit of work to remove all the old surround. Left my arms/hands kinda sore....but it was sooooo worth it baby!

See how shiny the metal is? ...to think..that part of the speaker hasn't seen the light of day in more than 25 years!
...and yes, that is a cheap Bic razor..I picked it up to shave the old surround off...worked pretty well too!
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

schmellyfart
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Nice job Metallica Man X - BTW, I think one of the tweeters in the speaker has dropped?

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Finally got around to finishing up a few small projects this weekend. One was a DS case mod. The original case got thrown and broke, but she wanted something unique. Here it is:

ImageImageImage

Click the thumbnails for larger. I used the pink buttons, and some other odds and ends from the old one to add some contrast. The sticker under the d-pad is covering up a defect in the new case. It wasn't worth waiting for a new case. I also got my decal on my laptop, finally.

Before:

After:
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:05 pm

bacteria wrote:Nice job Metallica Man X - BTW, I think one of the tweeters in the speaker has dropped?
Tweater dropped? I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you referring to the midrange speaker visible in the last picture?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

OhSnap!

Post by OhSnap! » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:58 am

Wanna see my rasterbation?

it's a poster thats about 2.6m-1.8m
yeah i like invader zim :mrgreen:
It consists of 40 sheets of a4 paper stuck next to each other creating a massive picture of which i rasterized and blew up enormously from a medium rez photo i found online. rasterization is where you make an image out of dots that makes more sense from a distance. i printed it out on an awesome laser printer in my school library costing me $8AUD
the main difficult part was it wouldn't print around the borders so i speant hours with my friend cutting around them, sticking them up and going over any white bits left with sharpies. it turned out really well and it was good fun.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:18 pm

That is, without a doubt, the best AU$8 poster ever.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:27 pm

That's awesome...now I want one :lol:

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 am

I put tact switches on the back of one of my xbox controllers the other day that operate as thumbstick clicks. Now I can crouch AND move in Halo. . .
I also put the jewel from an xbox over the Dell Logo from my laptop so I can go to Starbucks, hook up my xbox controller and start playing HaloPC to mess with people. It's fun, I encourage everyone to try it.

http://img169.imageshack.us/i/100909113701.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not very clean looking because it's done with just mechanical retention (in true MS Style) and I borked one of my controllers after getting carried away with mods, so it's on the crappy controller, but it works and it feels damn nice (about the only good thing about the controller now)

schmellyfart
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:59 pm

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Now this is an idea, not a current project of mine, but maybe in the future. Splice a Wiimote into an older arcade guncom for use with rail shooters on the wii, giving a more lightweight realistic feel to it. Maybe even one of those that have the motorized cocking action pistols; like have it wired to the B-Button or relayed to the rumble motor.

Which brings me to question, why only bring back games like House of the Dead to the Wii, why not Time Crisis!?!?

DK

Post by DK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:00 am

rikitheshadow wrote: Which brings me to question, why only bring back games like House of the Dead to the Wii, why not Time Crisis!?!?
I think Sony have exclusive rights to the console versions.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:26 pm

here is a little afternoon project i did last week. one of the wires had frayed on my westinghouse fan and was shorting it so i decided to take this opportunity to tear it completely apart and clean everything! 86 years worth of gunk removed! I also replaced the felt on the base, painted the base plate, cleaned up the speed coil, and replaced the cord with some NOS cloth wire!
Here is the fan in all of its glory! it is a 16" westinghouse oscillator with micarta blades. built in october of 1923
the speed coil and baseplate before i cleaned/painted. i only painted the base plate, the actual coil and ceramic is original 1923 finish!
and after i cleaned it! and here is a youtube video

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 pm

NICE!

Wish I had an antique fan to cool down with...unfortunatly, most, if not all the antique stores round here only have junk (and by junk, I mean more useful as scrap metal at best) and furniture...no fun old electronic devices. :(