My N64p (56k warning)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

codeman
My N64p (56k warning)

Post by codeman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Well I figured I'd share what I finished! I completed the electronics about 2 years ago (since the electronics is really easy for me)...and since then I've just been lazy about getting the case done. But here's the (semi) finished product!

I designed my own power board for this project, but I made it so that it could be used for other projects as well:
The power board makes it so that the wall adapter and batteries are switched in and out automatically. It's configured so that the wall and batteries are never connected at the same time, so there's no unwanted charging or anything like that on the batteries. It has a PIC microcontroller on board for power switching and power line monitoring. I'm also able to change the duty cycle of the fan using one of the two external push buttons. I eventually hope to add a temperature sensor so that the PIC can automatically adjust the speed of the fan depending on the temperature of the N64 processors.

Unfortunately I made a silly mistake when thinking about the circuit design for this board, so I had to do some modifications. Rather than using power MOSFETs for switching the batteries, I had to use relays instead. Ultimately it's a better solution, but it takes up much more space.

Various pictures of my portable:

Ocarina of time seems to be the standard for picture taking!

Showing the batteries I use and the battery compartments in the back:

It can fit two 4000mAh batteries for a total of 8000mAh...should be able to run it for 4 hours or so (this might be conservative, but the batteries are kind of old so I expect their capacity to have dwindled a bit) It has a built in memory card, uses the expansion pack, and I was able to keep all the buttons that are on the N64 controller including the L-button since I like the kirby 64 game! It's a bit thicker than I would have liked, but that's because I was greedy about the battery size since I wanted it to be able to run for along time and more powerful batteries equals more space. But even with this thickness it's surprisingly comfortable to hold.

I've configured the PIC to run in a very low power mode, so it should take much less than 5mA while running, thus having a minimal impact on the batteries. I plan to add a power indicator LED soon, which will be very easy using the A/D of the PIC and possibly a PWM output depending on how I want it to work. The two buttons above the c-buttons are the power button and the extra button. To turn it on, simply hold the upper button for about 1 second and it will turn on. The second button I'm not sure what to do with really. For now I have it set so that pressing the button will toggle through different fan speeds. Anyone have any ideas for that second free button?
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

metalcookie

Re: My N64p (56k warning)

Post by metalcookie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:45 pm

that's one great portable! i especially like the battery slots. it you bought 2 7.4 6600mAh camcorder batteries, you'd have a lot of life!
Citizen Kane

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:47 pm

its beautiful!! :shock:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 pm

:cry: PWNT again. Is that case frankencased?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 pm

I must say, it's a thick sucker, but that is some phenomenal work; I absolutely love the bit of custom electronics work you did with the power board there :wink:

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:45 am

I can see some lines on the case, or else it's the camera. Did you use a CNC machine to do the entire case?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

robm

Post by robm » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:01 am

Looks fantastic!

Who did you have do the board? That looks pretty good, being silkscreened and all. I have similar plans for mine, but it's going to be a bit smaller, as I'm not planning on integrating the battery charger circuit.

codeman

Post by codeman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 am

Thanks everyone! Yeah, it is a bit thick that's for sure...but that's the price I paid for wanting everything enclosed, and I really liked the front design, so the only option was to go thicker.

The case was custom built using a 3D printer, so that's where the lines come from. I got the work done for free since they have a printer at a company I used to work at :D The printer method was great because it was even able to put screw mounts where I wanted them which is hard to do with single sided machining. Unfortunately I had to modify the case a little bit since things didn't go exactly to plan, which is why you can see the crappy bondo work on the back of the case...

For the board I used Eagle PCB do design it (since it's free!) and used http://www.pcbfabexpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to have it made. They have some pretty good deals and they do a really good job, but you have to order a minimum of five boards. But it worked out ok since I can use this board for other projects. I could have condensed everything on the board, but I wanted to make sure I had really thick power traces.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Re: Finished N64 portable

Post by eurddrue » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:00 pm

How did you configure the PIC to run in low power mode?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:

codeman

Re: Finished N64 portable

Post by codeman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:12 pm

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/De ... e=en010265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used that PIC, which is designed for low power applications. I also set it to run at its lowest operating frequency and I put it to sleep when it's not being used.

sam_thornley

Post by sam_thornley » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:24 pm

A truely awesome portable! I'm drooling at your power board. I need to try having pcbs made sometime, as i usually build DC-DC convertors and audio amps on perfboard.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:22 pm

That's pretty awesome. I like the design: Nice job!
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Ok, another question. Is it weird having the z button behind the L button? I've been thinking of what it would be like if I built my case like that.
wallydawg wrote:

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:28 pm

This is a great portable! Loving the custom powerboard! :D
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

codeman

Post by codeman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks for all the comments! Having the Z button behind the L button is pretty comfortable. There are no games that use both the Z and L buttons, so you'll never have to awkwardly have a finger on each button somehow, so it work's out well. Or at least it has for me.