My N64p (56k warning)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Skyone
Re: My N64p (56k warning)

Post by Skyone » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:59 am

Very very nice power board! I like your electronics work, its effort shows. :)

codeman

Post by codeman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:51 pm

I was thinking about designing another (better) board and selling it. Would anyone be interested? I don't want to put forth the effort if no one would even want it!
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:52 pm

codeman wrote:I was thinking about designing another (better) board and selling it. Would anyone be interested? I don't want to put forth the effort if no one would even want it!
Totally, depending on the price.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:57 pm

I was wondernig if you'd ever finish it :) Nice work.

The PCB house I use is Advanced Circuits - if you're a student you can get their $33-each special, you only have to buy one PCB, but you can order several. The boards are FR4 0.060" silkscreen and soldermask both sides. Tolerances are pretty nice also. You also get a free microwave popcorn and coupon for Domino's pizza :D

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 pm

looks like the cart-slot could use a little sanding, but it looks like a damn fine portable.

codeman

Post by codeman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:29 am

The board would probably be about $20 each, with only a PIC populated. I would program the PIC with the generic program and would give the option of doing a little customization for a little extra. Whoever bought the board would be responsible for buying the rest of the components and soldering them on, sorry. Is that amounting to too much money?

@marshallh: Yeah yeah...I know it took me forever, rub it in why don't ya. Some of my friends at school have dealt with Advanced Circuits before and they were happy with them. But for getting 5 instead of one PCB, I have yet to find anyone better than pcbfabexpress. You can get 5 boards with everything included for about $15 each!

@grossaffe: Thanks! I know...the back is kind of ugly, but I don't enjoy working on the case as much as I enjoy the electronics, so I just gave up and called it done

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 pm

codeman wrote:@grossaffe: Thanks! I know...the back is kind of ugly, but I don't enjoy working on the case as much as I enjoy the electronics, so I just gave up and called it done
I wouldn't say 'ugly', 'unrefined' seems like a better fit.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:22 pm

grossaffe wrote:
codeman wrote:@grossaffe: Thanks! I know...the back is kind of ugly, but I don't enjoy working on the case as much as I enjoy the electronics, so I just gave up and called it done
I wouldn't say 'ugly', 'unrefined' seems like a better fit.
Now, there have been UGLY portables before, yours isn't even close to them...doesn't mention any names ;)

$20 plus 10 dollars in parts as an estimate? That wouldn't be so bad. I would buy one, if you walked me through in pm's :lol:
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:

thewizdawg

Post by thewizdawg » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:36 pm

That power board is pretty slick!

Does it work only with an N64 or could you use it for other portables? Also what type of batteries could you use?

I'd probably buy one or two.

codeman

Post by codeman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:48 pm

The board is designed around the PTH08080 regulator from TI. So the board is capable of taking any input that it can handle and outputting any voltage that it is capable of generating. So it should be fairly flexible for most of your needs.

The parts should only cost about $10 (just as a rough estimate). I would be sure to include documentation about how to assemble it and what each part does! You'd just need to have some surface mount soldering experience.

As of right now I'm trying to overcome the mistake I made with this first power board. It's tricky business trying to make a high-side switch using three terminal power MOSFETS, because they don't inherently block current in both directions when they're turned off. I have a solution that will work in theory, but I'm going to see if I can find something a little more elegant than what I've come up with.
Last edited by codeman on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 pm

How difficult would this SMT soldering be? are the pieces very close together?
wallydawg wrote:

codeman

Post by codeman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 pm

With a good pair of small tweezers and a fine-tipped soldering iron...it's actually pretty easy. Well provided you have a steady hand as well. The parts would probably be about 4-5 millimeters apart. I'd try to keep them as close as possible to each other to minimize the overall size.

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 pm

As long as it's not extreme, I'm pretty sure most of us could handle it. So, how will this board work? Does it act as a 3.3v convertor too? (please? :P)
wallydawg wrote:

codeman

Post by codeman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Basically...the biggest feature of the power board would be that it completely replaces any power switches for your system. So you wouldn't need the bulky, high-current switch to turn on the power.

The second part is that it isolates the batteries from the wall-power. It's designed so that if the batteries are installed, it will draw its power from them...but then once the wall adapter is plugged in it will automatically switch over to draw power from the wall and the batteries will be completely cut off. So it prevents any sort of back-charging on the batteries which might damage them.

The regulator is on board also, so it does have an output for the 3.3v line...or whatever voltage you set the regulator to generate. I also plan to add a low-battery indicator that the user can "program" themselves.

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:16 pm

So we will still have to wire up our battery charging jacks, but the system can run off wall power, and it will completely shut off the batteries? cool. And a low batter indicator light :mrgreen: That's pretty tight.
wallydawg wrote: